Ive had Bulimia for 30 years

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been bulimic on and off over the last 30 years...started when I was 20 and am 51 now. I know its me mainly trying to control my weight gain.... but whenever I have emotional stresses and things not going as planned.... I just lose it... I have a spell of just bingeing and throwing up and laxatives for a few weeks and things calm down and I feel ok and happy... I have had long spells of psychotherapy...was effective in the sense that I thought I was cured for nearly 3 years and it started again as the scales tipped more and more... Like everyone else on here... I do realise its so damaging for my health.... (last 11 years have lived on my own.)..so bingeing and purgeing hasnt been a problem...no one knows.... now I am in a relationship and it may not be that easy throwing up and getting away with it .. and I feel a little better for it ..thinking I might stop because there is someone else around who I care for... and dont want to worry and cause him concern.... I feel positive at the moment... AND I wish it really STOPS!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I am reading and a little concern. I have just notice that my fiancé is bulimic I want to help him. He has finally accepted that he is. But my concern is how long can a person go on doing this and really thinking no harm is being done. He is 45 years old. And I have no idea when this started. We known each other for 2 years. And I recently moved in and I realized what he is doing. I guess my question is. What can happen to him if he does not get help. I notice he doesn't eat all day and if he does it's sweets and soda and will not have a meal til home for dinner and at times very late. And he will eat so much and then to rest room. I guess I'm worried about what can happen. He seems to have lots of energy but also drinks (beer) to much. I'm just want to know how I can help him or talk to him without him getting upset and not wanting to open up about this problem and me getting the help he needs. Please someone answer me. I love him and need to help him. 😞
  • Posted

Hi Corina3, so sorry to hear that you are experiencing this difficult situation. I am now 4 years on from my above post and with the psychotherapy I have had I sorted myself out. The positive side to your situation is that your fiancé has accepted that he is bulimic and that is a first step to helping himself. Now you could try and gently encourage him to seek help in the form of counselling or therapy. Here is a helpful link: https://www.b-eat.co.uk/

I wish you all the best. ((()))

• Posted

Thank you and I will look into it. And hopefully he agrees to get the help he needs.
  • Posted

Thank you and I will look into it. And hopefully he agrees to get the help he needs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.