Ive had guttate psoriasis for over a year. HELP

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I'm new to this site. Just wanted to know if it's normal to have suffered with guttate psoriasis over a year? About 7 weeks ago i finally went to a dermatologist and started uvb treatment but it doesn't seen to be doing anything it did work for the first two weeks until I got another throat/ viral infection. Also I am way itchier and its come back like 4 times worse. More and more tiny red spot keep appearing also. Is this normal for an outbreak of guttate psoriasis. I just want my skin back sad

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mel,

I have PsA and my first real break out of psorasis (I think technically it wasn't guttate), was on and off but ON 90 percent of the time for a little over a year- and it was on my face! Sometimes dermatological treatmeats won't do it - steroid creams, light therapy etc. Mine didn't go away until I started with MTX which is a DMARD. It is a pretty heavy drug but sometimes thas what it takes to keep it under control. I've been on MTX for 8 months and have had only one break out and it was because of alcohol.

Anyways you might want to talk to your doctor about considering a drug that works internally and it's temporary. I'll tell you this is the first time since I was 22 that I have my face back!

I take Atarax (hydroxyzine) for the itching, when it gets really bad and I can't sleep. Ask your doctor about it I think you need a presecription for it. But if you aren't sleeping because of itching, your body can't heal. So this drug will help you sleep and reduce the itching.

I hope that was helpful, Even though it totally sucks right now that your skin that way, there are a million options and you just have to find the right one, It'll take time but try to make yourself as comfortable as possible with the itching while you find the solution.

Hope that was helpful!

• Posted

Meli

I have PsA and it has been around now for over thirty years. Sometimes different types of light treatment are tried before a peferred type is found.

In my situation they were covering my body in various strengths of  salic creams and ointments and wash it off after ten mins or so after light treatment to activate the cream. Your throat infections sometimes can become a problem and is not unusual  

They may also give prosalin ? think that is its name that sensitises the skin before light treatment you will need to go home and keep inside as the skin could bun outside.

BOB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.