ive just been put on citalopram

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi ive been put on citalopram 20mg an people are telling me not to take them because you can get addicted an im worried that i will become dependent on them. has anyone become addicted

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ryan - there are lots of bits of misinformation about SSRIs, of which citalopram is one.  Horror stories from side effects that are worse than a nuclear holocaust to brain effects equaling LSD - view all the 'extreme' views as either nonsence or just outside the 'norm'! - SSRIs are most definitely non addictive, although if they work, you may not want to stop taking them as you may relapse to where you were beforehand.  They can have side effects, however in most people these are minor and short lived and at worst are absolutely no worse than how bad you felt without taking them.  They don't work for everyone, its a case of suck and see.  Give it 6 - 8 weeks and don't worry or stress yourself waiting for side effects and horrible feelings that may not happen - in most people they dont, regardless of what you read on these forums.  Don't forget those who comment are usually those who have a specific reason to do so and the majority just get along fine and you never hear about them.  Remember, if they dont suit you, its not the end of the world, your doctor can change either the dose or swap to another medication.  You have nothing to lose by taking them and a lot to gain if they work, just give it a try and please dont listen to the voices of doom and gloom, listen to your GP.
  • Posted

Hi Ryan

They are not addictive at all.

Some people may be confused that when you are ready to come off them you can't just stop.

This isn't because they are addictive but because you have to taper off them slowly so you don't get really nasty withdrawal symptoms.

I've been on these before and slowly came off them over a couple of months. I did it a bit too fast one week and was really ill so had to slow it down a bit more. They're certainly not addictive just have to take it slow.

Unfortunately after several months fully off them my life took a turn for the worse and I have to go back on them.

Besides the side effects starting them again I have no issues with taking a tablet a day forever than living with my crippling anxiety.

Don't worry & good luck

A

• Posted

Hi there. I second everyone who has answered Ryan. I was on them for 11yrs. They are NOT addictive. I was fortunate in that I suffered no side effects - being on the lowest dose. We're all different so listen to your body and always consult your Gp. You'll be fine, you will see. Take care and good luck.
  • Posted

Hi Ryan,

I go along with everything that has been said and being here myself for only 3 months I found this site invaluable.

The support and advice is spot on and the doom and gloomers stand out a mile. Remember every one is different and the side effects, even though can be  basically the same for some, in no way are they the same in strength.

Any time you have a question come here, any time you need to chat come here and any time you need cheering up that happens here to!

Good luck mate and you'll soon come to notice and get to know, those that can really help through experience.

Regards,

David

• Posted

Thanks all you've helped a lot I was unsure about taking them but I think I'll give it ago an hopefully get better thanks again 👍
  • Posted

I like a lot of people have taken Cit and are now not taking them. When someone tells you that you can get addicted to them this in my humble opinion is NOT true!!

However what is possible is that you can while taking Cit can suffer some if not significant side effects as they are a SSRI which in some way effects and restricts the seratonis within the brain which are possibliy the cause of you having to take the tablets in the first place.

Where the confusion may be arrising is when you decide to stop taking the tablets there could be a problem with withdrawal, which could be confused with being addicted to the drug!!

Having said the above I had significant side effects and stopped taking them in concert with advise from my GP. Having only been on the drug for a short time and since stopping taking the drug did have withdrawal lasting for many weeks.

On the other hand a freind of mine took the drug for a period of six months and thought that they were not giving her any improvement in her condition and as a result stopped taking them with again no withdrawal.

What  I am saying is tha there is no fixed way thay someone may react while on Cit nor when they decide to stop. It is up to the way that the individual reacts at the time.

For me I would never take this particular drug again but should you decide to take it stay very close to your GP, should you suffer side effects while taking the drug do not soldier on regardless but consult your GP and if not satified consult another GP for a second opinion. Something which has become clear to me with this type of drug many GP's are not aware of the potential issues with the drug!!

I hope this helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.