Jackie

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I am having my pins out on the 26th march and I am so scared I can not sleep with worry can you tell me if it herd

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

HI Jackie,

I had my feet done about a year ago and I also have a nursing background

my advice to you is an hour before you go take a painkiller, paracetamol is as good as anything

I don't know what you can tolerate or what you have been given.

The procedure is very quick and although I found it uncomfortable it was over so quickly.

YOU have done the hard part already.

Let me know how you get on.

BEST Wishes

Robyn.

• Posted

can they give you sum numing spry if you are scked

• Posted

can they give you numing spry as i am so scared to have my pain out of my feets

• Posted

hi

depends on the pins as to how they do it.

20 yrs ago i had external pins removed from bunion and toe surgery and i was given a local block for procedure.

5 yrs ago i had bunion and toe straightening and had pin in end if my toe. taken out with no pain relief and i was fine. i did take paracetamol about an hr before though.

4 weeks ago had bunion revision scarf and akin with internal screws so only stitches and that was fine apart from one stitch which was a bit stingy. again took paracetamol an hr prior.

i too get very nervous and anxious and i am a nurse also so always going through worst case scenarios in my head.

ask to be given time to breathe through process deep breath in hold and release slowly through procedure. that will help a lot with nerves. xx

• Posted

no need to be nervous. I got myself all worked up and sick with nerves when my first pin was being removed. It was a cake walk. Just relax. It's very quick and mine just felt like a slight pressure on my toe. My second pin a few months later went just as easy. Sometimes it helps people if they don't watch. I didn't watch with the first because I was scared. I planned on watching with the second but I chickened out. There are a lot of videos online, maybe watching a few will ease your mind. There will be a couple drops of blood so don't panic.

• Posted

Hi Jacqueline,

I had a pin in my second toe on my right foot February 1 of 2018 and they removed it on March 13, 2018. It did not hurt at all, just a very tiny bit uncomfortable. (I did take a half Hydrocodone 10/325 about an hour before the appointment but I think even if I hadn't it wouldn't have hurt.) Getting the stitches taken out hurt worse.

I had the same surgery on my left foot February 8, 2019 except I didn't need any of my toes corrected for hammered toes. Although this time I did have a small "Tailor's Bunioun" just beneath my smallest toe that they shaved off.

I have a doctor's appointment on March 26th also to get the cast removed .

Here is a link to some pics and a short version of my experience if you are interested.

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/a-short-summary-and-photos-of-my-bunion-hammer-toe-experience-670012

Try not to worry and get some sleep, you will realize your worries and fears are doing worse to your body then the actual procedures.

I have found the advice of elevation, ice and rest are so important!

I think that people don't realize how long it takes to fully recover from this procedure, I didn't until I went through it. It literally took one year for my right foot to feel normal again but it sure is worth it, now I can walk with no pain and wear shoes that aren't "WIDE" LOL!

Just be patient and relax!

• Posted

As eneyone had pins in ther toes and hard them taken out can you tell me if it hurts as I am so scared I have my taken out on the 26 march 😥

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.