Jas Knee Brace

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am almost 12 months post TKR and I still have a lot of pain. As I mentioned in my last post at 9 months post TKR my orthopedic surgeon told me that there is nothing else he can do for me because I developed adhesions/scar tissue and now is too late to do anything other than to order a JAS Knee Brace to help with the knee bend. I could only bend it to between 105-110 the most. There are a couple of TKR patients in the forum that are using the JAS brace. If you read this post please (or anyone else) that are using the brace can you please let me know how are you doing and did the brace helped you. My brace was ordered on July 31, 2017 and I still don't have it. Is sitting at the representatives office and it has not been delivered.  Yes, I do my exercises everyday day and I go to the gym every other day. I also had 50 sessions of PT. I ice, elevated my leg, etc.  I know that it could take up to 18 months, but I should at least feel a little relief from the pain. I could walk, however, cannot bend the knee. Please any advice is thoroughly appreciated, as always. God Bless everyone that is going through post TKR or any other knee surgery. J-21370

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Jas

If you can bend to 105_ 110 you must be able to bend your leg i am just over 12 months post TKR i am not in a great deal of pain just a bit now and again but my flexibility is about the same as yours i would like a little more ROM which i am still working on but i manage every day life i work full time and get around a golf course a couple of times a week which i am grateful for

i dont think unless you are very lucky the new knee will ever be as good as your own pre whatever problems you had i really hope you get some relief soon good luck and stay strong.

• Posted

Johnny,just as an aside,do you walk round the golf course and 18 holes ?
    • Posted

Hi Mike

Yes i do buddy i did invest in a electric trolley not a buggy i used to carry my bag but i find the trolley makes a round a lot easier im just glad i can still play

before my op i could only do a round once a month .

• Posted

Hi Johnny - I am very grateful that I can walk straight. However, my problem is the pain. Thaks for responding. J-21370. 

• Posted

Its a pleasure

i hope you get some relief soon maybe try some very light exercise and rest the knee for about a week massage it a couple of times a day i mean a good strong massage it helps me good luck.

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your pain, it must be very frustrating. I found swim followed by sauna helpful...combination of body and mind relaxation I think. Don't know about brace but 110 isn't bad... that's a good bend for most activities of daily life I should think, or is there a specific reason you need it more? Can see that 110 with ease would be better though. How straight is it? What medication do you take for the pain? Are you doing a lot at the gym? It might be you are overdoing it a bit? Leg still healing. Hopefully those with experience of brace will help.

• Posted

Thanks Jenny for your response. You always have responded when I have post something that I have concern about.  My biggest problem is the pain. I could live with the flexion being between 105-110, but the pain is pretty bad. I can't take anti-inflammatories because a few years ago, I had colitis. I think that this is one one the reasons that my knee hurts and is so slow in healing. I also have Fibromyalgia since my thirties. However, I will get through this. Hope that my next post is to let the group know how wonderful I feel.  Take care and again, thanks J-21370

• Posted

Thank you. I do hope it improves. If not better at two years I don't see why it should not be investigated if you wished. Maybe there are other pain killers that you could take just occasionally to offer some respite? Blessings to you, yes you will get through it.

• Posted

I think a bend of 105 - 110 is pretty good. When I had TKR 5 years ago I only just got to 90 for my 6 week appointment with consultant. Having said that, my TKR has been a complete success story. Hope yours is the same. Hang in there.

Sarah

• Posted

Sarah - my TKR is going to be year next month.  I problem is mote the pain. Thanks for your response. 
  • Posted

Hello.  I am not sure what a  JAS brace is but I was ordered to wear a dynasplint brace at my 6 week check up because my ROM wasnt that great.  I think it was 110 bend and +8 on straight.  I cried when I got it and I cried when they put it on me.  But looking back, it really did help.  I kept a journal of how long I wore it each day...nowhere near as often as they wanted me to because it was hard for me to sleep with it on.  But I am glad I had it and my pt saw an improvement right away.  Good luck to you!!  You can do this!!  smile
    • Posted

Hi Need1Knee - thanks for your response. I remember when you were getting your DynaSplint brace and you were very upset. At the time, I was wearing the DynaSplint myself and I wrote  to you. I am glad that it worked for you and you are back teaching. The DynaSplint did not work for me so now I have to try the Jas brace. I just hope that at least my pain will disappear. Best of luck with your new knee. j-21370. 
  • Posted

I have been using the JAS brace for about 6 weeks. My problem was not being able to extend my leg due to scar tissue and muscle contraction. The key is to use it as directed. Gradually starting once a day for 15 minutes and working up to sessions of 30 minutes three times a day. Pain level should always be maintained at 2 as  overstretching can result in more scar tissue if muscles or tendons tear.  Wearing it more than 3X times or longer than 30 minutes is counterproductive as explained to me by the company director and rep. Epsom salt soaks, magnesium supplements, massage therapy with a Gua Sha tool and self massage with castor oil has eliminated the scar tissue from around the knee joint and behind the knee. Wearing leg warmers and keeping the legs warm helps keep muscles supple as cold will cause muscles to contract. My extension degree has improved from 45 degrees down to 25. The rep explained it takes 3-9 months for the JAS brace to work dependent on the severity of contraction. Good luck!
    • Posted

Hi Laurel thanks for your response and all  your advice. I just receive the Jas brace today. I will take your advice and see if it works for me. The only difference is that my TKR is almost a year ago. I have used the DynaSplint but did not help me. At this point I just want to get rid off the pain. Been in pain for too long. My surgeon told me that I have adhesions/scar tissue. I really don't know why I got them  because I have been exercising since the day after my surgery. I had 50 PT sessions plus the exercises at home and I go to the gym. Perhaps the next time that I write my pain  is gone. Take care and best of luck with your TKR. J-21370. 

• Posted

The rep told me he knew of cases over a year old where the JAS brace worked for extension or flexion (there are two different settings depending on which you need to work on) of course it takes a little longer. Also critical is not to overstretch or exercise as that can create small tears in the muscle, ligaments or tendons resulting in pain and more scar tissue. Massage and castor oil has worked really well in breaking up scar tisssue. My TKR was May 2, 2017 so even though my resting extension is about 40 degrees (I can stretch it down to 25 but it still springs back) it's an improvement. Soaking in Epsom salt baths in warm/hot water allows muscles to relax and I stretch then as well. I pay attention to pain now as a message from my leg I need to let it rest. It is major surgery and there needs to be a balance between moderate movement and rest for healing.

Good luck!

• Posted

I was too aggressive in overexercising after surgery which is one reason why I ended up with scar tossue, swelling and pain resulting in flexion contractures so now I'm in a wheelchair! The JAS brace, PT and massage are my options now. That is why I am cautious about paying attention to my pain level as a signal to stop stretching. Keep your pain level at 2 when using the JAS brace, After 10 minutes of use, adjust it up or down to keep your pain level at 2 until 30 minutes has gone by then take it off. It is not like the dynasplint and should be used as directed to avoid scar tissue.

• Posted

Laurel - one more question since you have given me so much info on the JAS Brace. Mine was delivered on Monday and the rep went over how to put it on turning it to flexion and how to take it off. However, sometimes I am dense - I can't remember which way I turn it for the flexion. I have been very frustrated in the last couple of days. I don't think that I am doing it right.  Are you the lady that  resides in Virginia?  Thanks for given all the info. I will continue to see if I can get this right. God Bless - we'll get there. J-21370

• Posted

I do live in Virginia. The adjustment for flexion or extension is made with the holes on the side of the brace. That should have been done by your rep and since you only have flexion issues you don't have to move those pins.  I will take a photo tomorrow and see if I can post it for you. The rep drew an E for extension on the front and back holes and an F for flexion  on the tiset of holes. He said it was very important for the holes to both be either in E or F but not mixed up. There is also an Allen wrench to adjust the bar that holds the ankle straps so the plastic ankle wrap doesn't dig into your calf. The only other adojustmenr is the lever on the outside. If yours is like mine, there is a small lever in the circlular part of the handle. If you position/pull it towards you, it will increase your flexion. If you push it away from you, it will decrease the angle of flexion.

• Posted

Hi laurel

Thats the thiing i love most about this forum the information about the jas brace has probably worked wonders for that guy well done and thanks fo the info laurel.

johnny.

• Posted

Turn the little lever towards you for flexion and away to decrease the flexion. 
    • Posted

This is the hole the rep adjusted for extension in my case, but you can see the pin would be moved to the F position, for the front and back, for Flexion.

Good luck, remember no more than 30 minutes for 3X day!

• Posted

Hi Laurel - thanks for the extra information and the picture. However, my wrech and level looks different. I want to mention one other thing - ever since I have been using the JAS brace my lower backs hurts a lot. I did not have this pain before.  I have called the Rep but he tells me that he will call me back at a certain time and he doesn't so tomorrow I will call the company and maybe someone else can help me with the problem.  I saw the message that someone wrote about how much they like the forum. I believe he thinks that I am a man - no I am a lady. My name is Juanita- I just use my code that I  was assigned when I joined the forum. I thought that we had to use our code.  Did not know any better.  However, I want to wish you a speedy recovery and lots of luck with the brace I hope that it works for you. And may God Bless you. Again, thanks for helping me. J-21370

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.