Jaundice in Eyes and Feet, Elevated Alk Phos, Dr isn't worried!?!?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've been experiencing pain in the liver area and jaundiced eyes and jaundiced bottoms of my feet for several monthes but the dr says if there was something wrong then bilirubin would have shown up on my urine test and all my liver enzymes would be elevated not just one. Is this true!? I'm worried sick about this because my eyes just started getting yellow again after a couple monthes of slowly fading and the liver area pain has gotten much worse but he says the liver pain is in my head and the yellow eyes means nothing unless my tests back them up. Has anyone else experienced anything similar because I am absolutely petrified...

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Im 18, drank and then took acetaminophen and 3 months later still itchy and feeling like sh*t withwithout jaudice, I too for my blood tested 3 times for liver damage and the tests all come up normal as if i am perfectly healthy,wish you well, I am wondering the same thing as you, I don't think I'll ever get back to normal.

• Posted

I personally have not experienced this, however my dad is currently in the hospital dealing with liver issues. Anyway, yes bilirubin would have to be present to cause jaundice, there is something called Carotenaemia. That would affect your feet, palms..but shouldn't affect the whites of the eyes. It's a great sign that your liver enzymes are normal, if something was wrong, it'd most likely reflect in the enzyme levels. You can request a blood test be done to check for bilirubin for a peace of mind. There's probably something else going on, typically in early stages of liver disease, there are no symptoms. My dad has been having horrible symptoms, EXTREME fatigue, no appetite, severe weakness, and he JUST started to develop jaundice..

I'm sorry I wasn't the biggest help, but honestly, if you are convinced, request blood work to see your liver function. But to me, it doesn't sound related. Goodluck hun

• Posted

Thanks for your insite about the bilirubin test, also I did have one elevated liver enzyme but the other two were comfortably in the normal range and the dr said they would all have been elevated if something was wrong not just the one. I've read about carrotenanemia and you have to hear a large amount of orange veggies to get that, but I don't.

• Posted

The doctor could be right about needing to have several abnormal liver levels to have something "wrong ". However, you can definitely have symptoms without something being "wrong ". If that makes any sense. One abnormal reading can cause symptoms. What was the test that was elevated and how elevated are you talking?

• Posted

Alk Phos (a liver enzyme apparently related to bones according to google) was elevated but still in the normal range (120). All other enzymes were normal and I tested negative for urine bilirubin.
    • Posted

Patients with jaundice due to partial obstruction of the bile duct sometimes have an orangy colour. A pancreas problem might be the underlying cause. Next step should be imaging of this area. A MRI would be the most sensitive way to pick up any pathology
    • Posted

How can I get an MRI if the dr won't refer me and isn't worried

• Posted

yes HAVING Hep-C I know your Blood test would come back with high enzymes.I got rid of my Hep-C Let me correct this.My liver regenerated which a liver does and im 59 so  I show no signs of having Hep C I get my Blood taken to make sure.So it means My Hep-c went into remission.but when I got my Gall Bladder out the Doctor told my Daughter I was starting early stage of  Cirrohis of the Liver I never drank in my life.Probably the scarring of having Hep C, I get where my right side is hard an sticks out further then my left. pick your shirt up or off.and see if your also is bigger on 1 side.OK about the JAUNDICE  The only time My eyes and entire body was yellow is when I had Hepatitis A which youd know if you had it.You only get it from cracked glasses or air droplets from people who has it.your urine will get dark as Tea.Bowell will get Silver.also chills fever and very Nauseated once it goes away you can NEVER get it again another fact you will die of Old age before youd even die of this disease.and I know people who's viral loads are very high They will want you to take Interferon Pegathon which makes you very sick.Please stay in touch I would never Tell you wrong. yes you may get a little  fatiqued tired, and if not satisfied get a blood test again for the LIVER have you been a heavy alcohol drinker? a Intravenous drug user? If no.quit worrying  your fine.Im just confused did the doctor see you were Jaundiced? an did he say even maybe why you were?Im here and will see if you respond but take it easy on your self hugz and prayers

• Posted

The dr did notice my jaundice but he said it's nothing to worry about if there was no bilirubin in my urine. Also is good to know that the dr was right about needing all my enzymes elevated not just one. As for my liver sticking out it does, my right side is rounder and more firmer when pressed than the left side is.

• Posted

What is your alcoholic intake?
    • Posted

Well, in that case, there could be a couple of other things causing it, such as gallstones, obstructing the passage. Without knowing your history, having all the results in front of me and being able to conduct more tests, it is impossible to guess.

I think you are in the US, but from the UK NHS website.

"Always seek immediate medical advice if you develop the above signs of jaundice. They're a warning sign that something is wrong with the normal processes of your body."

• Posted

I did seek immediate medical advice and the advice I got was if there's no bilirubin in my urine and only one enzyme is elevated not 3 then there's nothing to worry about. But having health anxiety of course I'm still going to worry

• Posted

Are you in the UK, if not, which country.
    • Posted

Okay, from my understanding, your sytem is a hybrid between the UK free NHS public service and the US insurance based private service.

In the UK we have what we call 'Walk In' centres (or clinics as it will come up under Google Canada), which is a halfway house between a GP and an A&E hospital.

If you had those, I would recommend them, as I used one, when my GP on three occasions failed to diagnose a problem. They diagnosed it and I got a referral to a consultant (via my GP, but he did not have a choice to say no).

Failing that and here's where my knowledge of your system breaks down, I would go to A&E at a quiet time (not Fri/Sat night) and ask to be seen. If you are jaundiced, they should take it seriously. Over here, they would probably run some more tests and send out an appoitment letter to you and your GP (GP always has to be aware of any treatment) for a visit to the gastro consultant.

You don't just get jaundiced for nothing and your GP should at least be trying to find out the cause.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.