Jaw broken in 3 places and i have no clue how to eat.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I broke my jaw 3 days ago in 3 places. I have my jaw in closed position with metal. By this i mean i cannot open it and eat normal food. This is the first day and ive tried blending some milk with berries, i dont think that will help me to feed myself. I have to wear the jaw lock?(no clue about the real name) for 3 weeks. So what you guys think how do i eat? Got superstrong blender.

Thanks

Kristers

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kris,

Kind of concerned for you that you weren't given after care advice from the hospital? When i had an impacted wisdom tooth out i could only open my mouth about 1 cm. I ate pureed veg, mash potato, mashed up beans, soup and no solids. I also had to tip my head to one side because of stitches in my mouth. It's hard work because we're used to chewing food. Anything super pureed and in liquid form through a straw, smoothie/youghurt/milk shake etc will be ok for you and 3 weeks will go in no time.

Beverley

• Posted

Yep no advice from the hospital. Thing is i cant open my jaw at all. So far ive tried drinking only smoothies, but i still feel hungry. I had an idea to get the vitamins in through one of the drippy things you get in the hospital, but it is one pf the things where it all started so ive got a trauma from that. 

• Posted

Hi again,

Yeah, i know you can't open your mouth at all. Believe me, only 1cm doesn't make it much easier! I really didn't feel hungry at all because of the pain to start with and the tipping my head to one side.

What do you mean about that's one of the things where it all started with the IV drip?

Beverley

• Posted

I’ve had decent fear from needles for a while. It all went down as i grew up and i got used to it. This monday i was supposed to have a bloodtest. I did have it. The nurse lurked around inside of my arm, with the reason she cant find my vein, when theres 3 clearly visible and she was only one having problems. After which i did leave her room and fainted, and broken my jaw in that way as I faceplanted. My mom did have an idea to get IV fluid in me through veins, however i feel like its going to happen again and i ve got the huge fear back again.

Hope you can see where im coming from.

• Posted

Hi Kris,

So sorry to hear of your awful experience! My daughter is also terrified of needles and so i am going to say you did amazing going for the blood test in the first place! To then get injured from fainting afterwards is just awful.

I think the hospital could have given you better aftercare though. Not sure if you're in the UK? The nhs have a medical website that could help.

Beverley

• Posted

Sorry for the late reply really trying to sleep alot for the weeks to pass quickier. 

Yep im from the UK, unfortunately I had to come back to home country for medical reasons and now ive got to stay here till i get the rubber bands removed.

Ive got a new question. Im make clean chicken boullion broth i suppose? With couple Protein shakes and berry smoothies, will that get me throigh the three weeks?

• Posted

Hi again,

Im not sure where your home country is but, In UK they have something called Complan which is a powdered multi vitamin and protein drink also there are many different other substitutes like that available and have different flavours.

Beverley

• Posted

Yep. I have something like that at home. However how do you think? Protein drinks, chicken Broth, berry smoothies and blended mashed potato will get me through 3 weeks? Im 53kgs just to say.
    • Posted

I think the hospital really needs to give you better aftercare! I think that just bear with it and eat what you can in liquid form. Yogurt drinks may help too. I used to work in personal care and have liquidised lots of meals for clients. Beans and potatoes blend well together just make sure you add lots of liquid. You can drink usual fruit juices as well as smoothies too. Ive even been asked to liquidise lettuce which is not much point! You could even add extra liquid to Baby foods in jars. Hope that helps.

When i couldn't eat, i didn't actually feel so hungry and relied on soup and the mash potatoes and beans to start with.

Beverley

• Posted

That actually helps alot i was worried so i dont starve.. Ill just add in beans and more potato and it will be great. Already miss a good old pizza but oh well life is life haha.

Thanks!

• Posted

My brother law had his broken and had to puree and drink out of straw..so sorry for you. That would have ro be just horrible..prayers 4 u for quick recovery and grace..
    • Posted

Thanks for being with me. It is actually harder than i though. The fact im still 16 makes it even harder.
    • Posted

I can't even imagine. But know this...This too shall pass...smile+++

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.