Jefferson fracture healing time

Posted , 3 users are following.

I fractured my c1 vertebrae while on holiday abroad. My imagining demonstrated Right Lateral Mass and Anterior Arch of C1 and a fracture through Right Posterior Arch of C1 consistent with Jefferson fracture.

I have worn a halo vest for 11 weeks, I saw my consultant the last week thinking my bone would be fused together, to my surprise there was little progress at all. I asked the doctor about my progress and he said there where fibres showing and it should come together soon.I didn't know what that meant and he seamed reluctant to speak to me about it weather he was busy I don't know. He removed the halo and fitted a cervical collar.

I am 23 years old very healthy and active and I am getting frustrated why is it taking so long. I am drinking plenty of water along with essential vitamin's such as calcium, vit d, magnesium, l-arginine, vit c and cod liver oil. Also what if it doesn't fuse together what is in store for me surgery, months of immobilization? I am scared and feel like my consultant couldn't give a dam. Could anyone shed any light thanks.

Also what is a stable and unstable fracture?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I am interested to know how this turned out for you.  Hopefully you can reply.  I sustained a jefferson fracture December 2014.  Its now March 2015 and it is actually worse.  I was in a halo for 2 months then placed in a Aspen neck brace.  I am also active and healthy (34 years old).  
  • Posted

Hello i also had a jeffersons fracture! I want to know how your progress is. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.