Jerking awake during sleep

Posted , 2 users are following.

For the last month or so, I’ve been jerking awake during sleep, including during during dreams but also when I don’t appear to be dreaming. It frequently feels like my body will jerk as I wake (I think it’s as I wake and not before I wake) but it’s not clear to me if I do. Basically, I’m sleeping then jerk awake & it feels as if a body part will jerk. 

Anyone with any thoughts? Most of what I read about hypnic jerks indicates that they happen upon falling asleep, but these will happen 2-6 hours after falling asleep. I’ve read that it could still be hypnic jerks & am hoping that’s what these are.

As background, im a 41 yr old male, and these began after I saw a neuro to get checked for Parkinson’s, as I have benign tremors & just wanted to confirm nothing to worry about. He asked if I ever acted out my dreams & I said to my knowledge “no” & that my girlfriend never said I have. I confirmed with her that I haven’t done so & haven’t done so since. I’m terrified these jerks are indicative of REM sleep disorder, but I don’t appear to be acting anything out & am instead just jerking awake. I’m also not talking or vocalizing in my sleep at all. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

To add a quick note: Basically, I’m very nervous and assume that’s making it worse and deep down believe that this is rooted in anxiety but would appreciate any thoughts. 
  • Posted

I have the same issue and I went in for a sleep study. All they said was wrong was I have sleep apnea. The tech that was watching me said I had severe jerking while entering different stages of sleep. The doctor didn't have any answers for me at all. Some times I can twitch so violently that I will here a bone crack or pop. I have also kicked everything off my bed at night due to my leg shooting straight up in the air, as if I was trying to kick a goal in a soccer game, but nothing wrong with me they said. I don't believe it at all. I think it is a symptom of a immune disorder that I have. I think I have Lupus and I have been diagnosed with Crohn's disease. I would press your doctor for some answers and let me know what they say, cause my doctor doesn't think it is anything to worry about. As a kid I did sleep walk and carry on conversations in my sleep. Just odd stuff if you ask me.

• Posted

Will certainly ask and let you know. & have you jerked awake during dreams?

• Posted

For example, last night, it happened twice. Once around 2am, and I kind of jerked awake (SleepScore said I was in light sleep). Kinda felt like maybe arm jerked but not sure. Then at 4am-ish, (sleepscore said I was in REM) jerked awake from dream & it felt like my right shoulder jerked. Dream was a boring work dream & I was listening to co-worker talk to client when I jerked awake, so wasn’t “acting” anything out with right shoulder.

Really scared about this so any help anyone can provide is greatly appreciated!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.