Jim would like your help please

Posted , 5 users are following.

.......and so would I.

I think most of you know that we've had a nuisance neighbour calling daily, uninvited. I thought we'd got rid of him but I was wrong.

Yesterday, Jim bought six cans of beer in the morning. By the evening he'd bought a further three.

He was pretty drunk and told me that he couldn't possibly sleep because he'd had far too much to drink, so he needed MORE beer, to help him to sleep.

What??

It doesn't make sense - well, not to me. Jim asked me to "ask yer pals on that computer" so here I am, asking you.

I had to go and buy him another six cans of beer, because he'd taken the maximum daily amount permitted from his bank account.

HE GAVE FORTY QUID TO OUR STALKER NEIGHBOUR

I was SO angry with him. We've had the police involved and Jim is still contacting this man, who has made our lives a misery for weeks, and has also verbally insulted me - several times.

WHAT did Jim mean when he said he'd had too much beer to fall asleep, so therefore needed MORE beer, in order to ensure that he DID sleep?

Just totally puzzled.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

If you drink all day, having a long slow session, it doesn't really give you a hit, particularly if you are staying off of the 'top shelf'.

To induce sleep, quite often, you need to drink a quantity of alcohol quickly, so it overloads you system and you become drowsy. The problem with alcohol is that it stop the braking system working in your brain. You have the GABA and NMDA, one gets yu excited (the alcohol hit) and one is your break to calm you.

When you get dependent on alcohol, the braking system stop working and without alcohol, the brain goes into overdrive. Which is why people who are alcohol dependent, try to cut down on alcohol, find that they can not sleep well at night, becaause their brain will not shut down, it is now racing because alcohol is not in the system and the brake that works for normal people has failed.

It is the same reason people are given benzos to detox, to stop the CNS, shakes and muscle spasms, because the braking system is broken.

So Jim needs alxcohol to act as the brake and allow his brain to slow down, so he can switch off and sleep, as all the alcohol during the day will have been metabolised by that time.

If you detox and come off alcohol for some time, your CNS (central nervous system) will reset itself and the natural brking system will kick in at night time.

I haven't bothered to spell or typo check, so there will be some.

• Posted

Hi and thanks for explaining that so clearly. I understand now.

T.

• Posted

Flippin nightmare girl - but very well answered.

Jeez - I would want to make your neighbour a nice meat pie and use dog meat in it just for the satisfaction of watching him eat it.  But that is me - lol.

Great post and responses guys.

G.

• Posted

I can make one with worse things than dog meat, Gwen...........

He doesn't come near me now or our house - but he got a pal to come and annoy us instead, and HE was so threatening that I had to dial 999. The police arrested him for burglary (because he stepped into our home without an invitation), threatening behaviour (he was going to assault me, although Jim would have had on the floor in seconds if he had) and being drunk and didsorderly.

So now I have to go to Court!

Thanks for answering, Gwen.

• Posted

My thoughts and my actions regarding a situation like this.....

When I run out of beer on a binge...I can't sleep either...cause I NEED more beer because I am an alcoholic...and then I get calmer and drunker and I am able to sleep.  

Possibly it is the physical explanation given by RHGB...but I know for ME....it is just I WANT more beer, I'm craving more beer and there would be no way for me to sleep without it because I would be aggrivated that I didn't have any more money to get it...and no one to get it for me.

I'm sure he was relieved when you got him the beer.

I think you are also saying that this neighbor problem is a potential excuse for him "overdrinking" yesterday?  Yes, probably because when I am stressed out..I drink more too.

• Posted

Hi Misssy.

I'm sure RHGB's answer was right - and it made complete sense to me, too.

Jim WAS relieved I got him the beer. I made a comparison in my mind about how I'd be feeling if I ran out of diazepam and there was a way to get them easily, and decided that I would get the beer because Jim was distressed at the thought of not having it.

The neighbour has been an 'excuse' for both of us to indulge our addictions. Jim is drinking much more and I'm buying meds online. My famous diazepam taper is all-but ruined.

However, i can't put the blame on the neighbour. Jim and I reacted as addicts - each reaching for the easiest (to us) way of coping.

Addictive behaviour is SOOOOOOO predictable.

It took me several weeks to find a healthy solution to the neighbour problem i.e. contact the police, which is what I should have done in the first place.

But as for sending a WORSE pest.................I am speechless and furious...........and have ordered goodness knows what online now.

This has to stop.

• Posted

Oh no..think of it this way...

You WANT YOUR POWER back...right now the "neighbor" and the "drugs" have power over you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.