jimjames' on-off strategy for CIC working?

Posted , 9 users are following.

For the past 10 days I have been suffering with a prostate bleed from one of my self-catherizations (CIC). I have been doing CIC due to BPH for 4 years now with no issues.

To try and let the wound heal my urologist said I should try to reduce the number of CICs from 4 to 2 a day. I still have good NVs between CICs.

So for the past 4 days I've reduced CICs from 4 or more to 2 mainly during the night.

During this time I have found that my NVs have dramatically INCREASED in frequency and intensity to as much as 300 cc at a time! For the past 24 hrs I only self-cathed one time at 2 am (still with bleeding) but this morning I had a great NV for the first time in years!! Usually I awake at 6 am in full retention. So far today I have had 4 great NVs and feel that my bladder is empty. Wierd!

A few years ago jimjames posted about giving CIC a rest for a while and let the bladder take over. He had good results with that strategy. I wonder if that is at work here? Nothwithstanding the bleeding I haven't felt this good for years. No Foley for me today!

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

That's the idea. You're rehabbing your bladder by emptying it.

• Posted

Happy to hear of your progress! I haven't had a NV since beginning CIC 6 months ago...keeping my fingers crossed for a breakthrough like yours! Curious if you have always had NVs while doing CIC or if they started during the 4 years you were self-cathing?

Patrick

• Posted

Hi Patrick,

Thanks. I did not have any NV during the first 6 months of CIC at all. I could manage a few cc's if I ran around a lot but it was very painful. I started to improve gradually over time. Until I had this mishap my NVs were typically 150 to 250 cc and my residuals were the same during the day. At night I would awake in full retention and take out 800cc or more. As long as I kept the total volume in the bladder under 500 cc or so I have a NV but if it gets bigger than that my bladder cannot push any pee out. Still it is good progress.

I don't understand why it is so easy for m e to void large volumes in the past few days like a teenager. But at night after an hour of sleep I awake in full retention and have to CIC and then I get the bleeding. Tonight will be 24 hours between cathing so I pray no more bleeding. I did get set up today with all the Foley materials but want to wait a few more days to see if it heals. Still - these NVs are amazing!

• Posted

I have to admit I am surprised by the lack of interest in my post from the CIC community . I am now nearly 4 days w/o a self-cath and voiding like a 20-year old!

I don't understand that lack of enthusiasm - maybe there are few men now who CIC.

I even put it on jimjames old thread and did not get one response!

• Posted

Hello Howard and Jimjames

Hey I am NEW to the un-fun procedure. Can you please tell me hat the abbrev mean >>

NV ? I think I get the CIC

Thx Mike

• Posted

NV is Natural Void - what you pee without any aids

CIC is Clean Intermittent Catheterization where you do self-cathing. It is not sterile but clean so UTIs are a possibility. Ask away as the acronyms are confusing. Howard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.