Job

Posted , 11 users are following.

How long do u need off work if Ur job involves lifting after hysterectomy

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I took off 4 weeks but still had restrictions on lifting until I was 6 weeks post.
    • Posted

I think it depends on the lifting required and movements.   My job doesn't require anything over 15 lbs so at 6 weeks I was perfectly fine.   However, I'm now 9 weeks out and I haven't done Much over that yet.   Working up slowly.

• Posted

My doctor told me no lifting for 6weeks and nothing over 10 pounds after 6 weeks 
  • Posted

If you can, then at least 6 weeks and even then nothing too heavy, believe me you will regret it if you start lifting heavy stuff too soon, sorry to be blunt, don't forget that your insides need to heal and that can take a very long time, anything up to 12 months, so please take it slowly.

• Posted

Hi Anita,

I had to have 5 months off work after having a full hysterectomy and removal of a 4.5kg fibroid. I only had that amount of time off as the wound burst open after having my stitches out, which set the recovery back. Plus I do quite a physical job with lifting too.

Hope this help

• Posted

I work in the shipping/receiving department at my work and I'm in the same boat. It honestly depends on the doctor/how much you will be lifting/ and how serious your situation is and how your healing. Too many things to factor in!! I'm 3 weeks post op and the biggest advice I can give is listen to your body. If you're used to constantly going like I am it can be very frustrating but very important not to push it. Take the time to heal. And good luck!

• Posted

Hi I had 15 weeks off I do a lot of lifting and pulling cages or pallets I have just gone back to work with a doctors note for a phased return and light duties , I was shattered after my shift and bending down picking things up I could feel it like tugging but I think I needed to get back to something normal, 12 weeks seems to be the normal. I felt ready until I started working but as I'm doing a phased return i am hoping it will be alright, and taking it steady not as fast as used to be.

• Posted

Oh that first day back to work is a killer isn't it? I went back doing my 1st week at 3 hours a day and then added an hour on each week until I reached my normal 7 hours a day. There was no way I would have coped going straight back to a normal 7 hour shift.

I think the main thing is, listen to your body. If it doesn't feel right, get help lifting, and don't over do it

• Posted

Tell me about it I suffered the next day and I work nights I did a 7 and half hour shift i usually never sit on the job but I had to ,not looking forward to next week I have to do 2 shifts then after that back to normal shifts and there's really not anything I can do that doesn't involve bending, kneeling ,and lifting. I'm dreading it been walking and trying to exercise to build up my stamina

• Posted

I could never do that after my op,I'd be too scared.I'm 6 mths now and still won't lift anything heavy.never willx

• Posted

Good morning Anita. I was signed off 14 weeks post my op. 8 to start with then 4 weeks then 2 weeks. I had a full hysterectomy , everything removed and a bikini line cut. I don’t have lifting as have an office based job but work in London and have a 2 hour each way journey. Also had a phased return which meant doing part time days / hours reduced agreed with my doctor. Be careful and don’t rush back as it took me ages both mentally and physically to feel ready to return. I’m still on reduced hours now and had op in feb😕Don’t underestimate this major op and take care of yourself xx

• Posted

Anita

I would take at least 12 wks off. Lifting is a no no after this op. The most important thing after is to strengthen pelvic floor to stop any prolapse afterwArds. I had my tvh in January and still don't lift.x

• Posted

I'm 2 days post op for full hysterectomy and hospital sent me home with a sick note that implies I can go back tomorrow with adjustments but dosnt say what adjustments! I can hardly walk so god knows how I would go back. Consultant said 8 weeks but then a junior doctor just added the sick note to the paperwork to take home. My bloodpressure and pulse are too high so I have to see GP tomorrow and will ask if they can change sick note. I do a clerical job but involves training and attending or providing workshops and travelling a lot or standing for hours so not much lifting but no personal desk set up either as it's mainly via laptop and teleconference if not face to face!

• Posted

At least 12 weeks hun..and then you must be very careful not to lift heavy as you are at risking prolapse.it takes up to 12 months to internally heal.x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.