Job prospects and having colitis

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I have a query about an occupational health report I have just completed having been offered a job as a driver for the NHS.

One of the questions asked if I had ever been medically retired from a job. I worked as a police officer for 25 years until 2012, I had to leave because I had ulcerative colitis, I took a year out of work to get well. I then began work as a driver for ASDA in 2013 and later the same year began work for Marks and Spencer where I still work. I also had depression in 2011 for which I still take medication. In 2013 I began a new treatment for my colitis which to this day has kept me in remission. I have not had any sick days due to depression or colitis since 2012 and in the last 2 years have had in total 2 sick days. My question is, will any of this prevent the NHS allowing me to take up their job offer? Kind regards, Mark.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

This in only a lay opinion.

I also have UC so am well aware of the limitations this can present when the disease is active. The things that come to mind are urgency and fatigue, two things which could impact on driving ability and concentration. Having said that, these are symptoms which could affect anyone with a simple stomach bug or fatigue not caused by illness so common sense tells me that it would be wrong to withdraw the job offer.

Furthermore, you have been in remission for five years and your work attendance record is excellent. imo if the offer was withdrawn it would amount to discrimination.

Don't forget that under the Equality Act 2010, employers have a duty to make adjustments to remove any barriers a person may face as a result of a disabling condition. If the illness were to flare, that might include making your workload a little lighter when fatigued, allowing time in your work schedule for more toilet breaks or ensuring the driving routes you have to take offer toilet facilities.

You do not say what type of medication you take for depression. I'm assuming one of the SSRIs. These usually only affect driving ability in the inital few weeks. After that, most people are safe to drive with them so again, it should not impact on the decision to employ you.

Good luck. I hope all goes well for you.

• Posted

I meant to add that there is lots of advice on the Citizens Advice Bureau website. I won't post a link as it would probably throw my reply into moderate. Easy to find.

• Posted

Thanks for your advice, it really helps to get a response like this. You can become despondent and at times allow an illness to define you. So thanks again.
  • Posted

Hi Mark - out of interest, what was the treatment that has kept you in remission?
    • Posted

Hi, the best spelling I can give is veidiolizimab, I was on a similar drug called infliximab but had a minor reaction. They're part of the same family which suppress the immuno system. I have an infusion every eight weeks which takes half an hour. Hope this helps? Cheers.

• Posted

Thanks Mark - I think I am heading towards the same drug.

Cheers for sharing!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.