Jobs

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi I'm looking to talk to someone who works in a corporate office doing a stressful and demanding job who is still able to work long hours and progress up the career ladder despite chronic fatigue.

I struggle so much every day because I'm so exhausted and fatigued, but I don't want it to make me fail at work. It's getting more and more difficult to hide it but I don't even want to tell anyone.

Does anyone have any advice?

Vicky

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Yes, but you're not going to like my advice. By trying to work through your fatigue, you're endangering your health and minimizing your chances for recovery, You risk the scenario that happened to me: I tried to work despite my increasing fatigue, and ended up so sick that I effectively ended my career. The decision to work or not to work was removed, because I was so ill I couldn't even get up off the bed. You need to get plenty of rest, pace yourself, and not try to push through the fatigue. Stay within your energy envelope. De-stress as best you can, through meditation, deep breathing, listening to music, or whatever else works for you. People can recover from this. Also, upon rereading your post, I see that you mention "chronic fatigue," not ME/CFS. Chronic fatigue can be associated with many illnesses. But ME/CFS is a specific illness with many possible symptoms. My advice is based on the assumption that you mean ME/CFS.

• Posted

Hi, Alison. That's the $50,000 question that we'd all love answered, including me. I believe there are different paths into this illness, and different paths out of it. I'm certainly no expert, only a fellow sufferer. I've read that the best chance for recovery occurs in the first 2 or 3 years, but can also happen after this period. In my15-plus years, no medicines, herbs, or therapies have helped me, though some of these may help others. It's hit and miss. Whatever you try, though, I've found it's best to start low and go slow. That minimizes chances for bad results. The most effective possible path to recovery, I believe (again, this is just my opinion), is to pace yourself, get plenty of rest, don't try to push through the fatigue, de-stress in whatever way you can, avoid caffeine and sugar. 

• Posted

i pace myself rest as much as possible,but I haven't cut out caffeine and my indulgence once a day a a piece of homemade gluten free brownie (just made another batch), I'll have to try and give that up. Thing is I have such a difficult diet. I am on the fodmap diet, you might have heard of it and also am gluten free and don't eat meat all makes it very difficult. I also can't stand putting on any weight. I would really get depressed if I did put weight on.

I de-stress by going on a bike ride or walking. I sew as well, a textile designer but since my fall I can't do so much of it which is very frustrating. I am just too exhausted. I manage if I am lucky one hour in the morning and one hour in the evening.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.