Joint infection after TKR

Posted , 5 users are following.

Did anyone get infected after TKR? This took 8 months out of my life, caused tremendous pain and ongoing neuropathy. I seldom hear anyone mention it on the site.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I have heard so many horror stories about infections after total knee replacement I'm praying with you and for you I hate to hear about people having to go through such a horrific incident me personally I haven't had any infections thank God but I'm praying that you have a speedy recovery

• Posted

Yes....twice........due to the number of surgeries I've had and the trauma from the staph, ill never be without pain a d problems. I started the last go round 2 years ago this month. At that time they had to remove the prosthesis and put in a spacer. Two month's of antibiotic infusion, immobilization and non weight bearing then a other two months of the same after discontinuing the antibiotics. I've had a total of 11 surgeries and 30 rounds of radiation on my left knee/leg since Sept '02. All of this due to a rare tumor.. Got a million dollar leg and still can't be on it for long periods without pain and swelling

Not much fun for an old guy.

• Posted

The Sydney hospital where I had my bilateral TKR's is renowned for a lack of staph in its orthopaedic wards and theatres. I feel fortunate that I did not have the misfortune to contract anything dangerous, whilst a patient. I feel for you and hope that your condition is resolved soon. I have known people to suffer incredibly because of bone and wound infection. Staff are sometimes remiss on hand washing in my experience. I know staph is airborne but I saw nursing staff treating patients without using handwash. It is an issue in many surgical wards. My dentist in Malaysia says I need to be on antibiotics for a week before she will treat me. Good wishes to you.

• Posted

I was infected with pseudomonas...clearly from the OR but I suffered terrible pain ( and my wound opened) for three months before diagnosis. I need to have the other one done but I'm terrified.

• Posted

Dear Jeannenp,

My case: Right KneeTKR in Sthlm, Sweden 2014. I hit the jackpot! TKR infection. Three deep cleanings (debridements). Two in Sweden. One here in Thailand where I am a resident. Back to Clindamycin 300 mg x 3 per day. Clear yellow pus oozing out daily. The TKR team here in Bangkok want to a  revision, 'gold standard' remomal of the infected implant, spacer and all.  Lots of pain guaranteed! Three months maybe longer recuperation.  For the time being the flexion has improved. Also less stiffness and swelling.  I can walk short distances. But I prefer driving. Pain? Yes. Tramadol prescribed from hospital.  But never more than 50 mg per day. If not to much standing is involved 0.25 mg is enough. On/Off couple days no Tramadol. Only Paracetamol or Aspirin for the pain. Whats next? At the Ortho Clinic the bacterilogical culture  was taken last week. Soon  I'll know. Anyhow, I know what I have - but I don't know what I'll get. So, I would really like to retain/salvage my implant. I am 67 and I want to carry on working here in sunny Thailand.   

• Posted

From what I understand, removal, placing spacer for three months while you are on IV antibiotics is the treatment gold standard. I was non weight bearing in that leg with a hip to ankle immobilizer 24 hours a day for 3 months. My hair fell out( not all of it) and I lost 55 lbs. I wish you luck. My knee originally place in Feb 2014 with final replacement /sept 2014. We pretend 2014 didn't happen..... my husband was at my side thru the nightmare. Best wishes. Let me know what happens.

• Posted

There is no salvage. Only a new one is sterile enough for inserting. Metal is the magnet for infection. I had both type and wish they had done the "gold standard" initially. I can tell you it's not easy but you want the best.......anything less can cost you your life.......or at minimum, your leg. DON'T LET ANYONE CUT CORNERS FOR THE EXPEDIENCY OF COST OR SPEED. On top of that, I've had 11 surgeries on the leg/knee since age 65 and I am now 80. Its difficult but you can and will survive

• Posted

You were fortunate to have help. I went through it and at the same time I was caregiver for my wife who has advanced Parkinson's disease, on a walker full time, can't drive and has to have help with meds 5 times daily. Sometimes you don't know how strong you are till you are tempered under pressure. A strong faith is the great equalizer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.