Joint movement

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi all

we all post about sensations and pain,

now at 4 weeks I am feeling, I think the sliding movement of the joint,

i feel that it is like sliding up and down but sometimes is not as free as other times, tight one minute and then other times feels like it goes on its own.

it also clicks or feels like a hinge not quite lined up!

has anyone else felt the gliding movement?

sue x 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Susan,

I wonder if what you're feeling is the swelling in the joint... it can definitely make for some weird feelings and movements. Swelling will be present for up to a year in some level I've heard, and I've noticed that especially when I start doing more (almost 8 weeks post op TKR), there's more swelling and it can make the new joint feel like it pops a bit from time to time. Your doctor will likely be doing xrays in your 6 week post op, so that can confirm if anything is wrong with the joint. Good luck to you!

• Posted

It will to some degree until all of the soft tissue gets strengthened and can hold everything in place. The soft tissue and bone actually grow into and adhere to the prosthesis to hold it in place and make it work properly
  • Posted

It is probably all the tendons ligaments etc coming back to life and settling down inside your leg.

I sometimes look down at my knee to make sure it's still in place as it feels as though it has dropped down my leg !

• Posted

Oh this has so made my day, as I too look at my knee and wonder if it's mine. I waited 11 years to have it sorted and am now beginning to wonder if I've done the right thing! I'm 9 weeks into a patellafemoral replacement (plastic knee cap and metal bit behind it). Seemed to be making good progress at the beginning but last 4 weeks have just been one long hard slog - pain, stiffness, swelling, tightness, strange sensations. Am doing all prescribed exercises, resting, elevating, icing and using static exercise bike but just when I think "my knee" has returned, along comes days like today. My hubby says I'll get there eventually but I so wish "eventually" would come quickly!. Am not ashamed to admit to shedding a few tears in last few days because you do begin to wonder if normality will ever return. It's only when I read the posts on this forum that I realise I'm not alone on this journey - keep up the good work everyone! 
  • Posted

Hi 

thanks.

this is certainly a journey, physical and mental, I am finding it so much harder than what I thought.

i think it is the constant changes, just when I think I'm in control, it throws me a curve 😳.   

Thanks again for being here !! 

Sue x 

• Posted

It sounds like what you are feeling is the prosthesis in relation to the very veriable swelling, mine sometimes makes a very audible clunk sound ! its a weird and wonderful thing tkr ! if you are truly worried then the gp is the best person to advise/reassure you.Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.