joint pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I'm just looking for some advice really, ive had hypothyroidism since April, been on Levothyroxine, I also had joint pain which was quite widespread, the gp said the pains wud ease once the thyroxin got into my system, well they haven't, theyve got worse. I'm now in constant agony, my hands, fingers and wrists are probably the worst but I also have pain in my feet, knees hips back and shoulders, I saw a rhuemy in July who said its still prob connected to the thyroid and diacharged me. I keep going back to gp because the pain is unbearable but they just say its all thyroid and just put up with it basically, I'm taking co codamol daily which wakes me out, this is hard with 2 kids to look after.

Basically I'm worried its something else and not connected to thyroid because they don't seem to investigate anything else. Ive had bloods on June which didn't show inflammation. But pain has got alot worse since then. Any advice would be appreciated

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi carli

You should not be expected to put up with  these pains.

Codeine can cause or exacerbate joint pain. Other meds can cause painful joints and lupus.

Have you been checked for any intolerances to foodstuffs at all?

I would advise that you are tested for any intolerances to gluten, wheat, soy, yeast, dairy plus any other tests on offer.

If you search for the Gluten syndrome and gluten ataxia you will discover some important details about gluten.

Thyroid disorders can often be linked to gluten intolerance.

Dairy intolerance and gluten intolerance go hand in hand in 50% of people who are found to be gluten intolerant.

I would strongly advise that your bone profile be checked for any possiblle vitamin D deficiency disorder. Low vitamin D can cause pains in your joints and muscles as welll as making you feel tired.

BTW there is a test called the CYREX test which will test for any cross reactivity if you are found to be intolerance to the afore mentioned foodstuffs.

Also some medications can cause the signs and symptoms you are expeeriencing. It would be a good idea to list any medication that yu sre presently taking or have taken and to check their side effects and interactions and contraindications.

Sorry for the rushed response but it gives you a starting point.

Are you on or ever been on any statins, anti convulsant drugs, beta blockers, antibiotics especially the fluroquinolones?

Jean

• Posted

Hi Carli, I am so sorry you are going through this. Posts like yours drive me crazy. Your doctor should admit he has not idea what to do and I think you need to get another GP. The doctor you have at the moment seems very ignorant or not willing to read up on the side effects of Levothyroxine. 

I am not as knowleagable as Jean (above) but another thing you could try is to change to NDT (Armour thyroid). The reason I say this is because I had terribly painful joints on Levo and the minute I switched to Natural Dessicated Thyroid the pains disappeared. I had the pains for 2 years and within an hour of starting the NDT, they all cleared up. As soon as the T3 in the NDT fades (about 3:00pm) I get faint pains in my joints reminding me of the pains I suffered on Levo (Levo is only T4 and you need T3 in addition)

It's worth a try, Levo is very nasty stuff for some of us.

• Posted

Hello Carli:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I am also Hypothyroid as I have Hashimoto's thyroid disease.

Joint pain can come from Arthritis and also from our thyroids and low Vit D.  As we age, our body does not make enough Vit D.  Our thyroid gland also when low will see muscles ache and become stiff. There is some linkage to Osteo Arthritis in thyroid patients also. 

Make sure your thyroid level is good. Get new TSH T4 and T3 levels and ask for a Vit D test. It is a special test and takes about a week to do.  I myself have low Vit D and I take extra D along with a women's Multi vitamin.

It can also be a problem with the Levo as a side effect and you may need to use another thyroid med.  They have NDT also known as Armour Natural thyroid from a pig's gland that is close enough to a humans one.

First see if you are low on Vit D.  If you do not take vitamins - please do and buy the best one you can.

Any questions just ask,  Shelly

• Posted

I had the same thing when taking Synthroid. My doctor hanged me to Armour and it went away.

Now Armour has changed and doesn't make my side (80mg) do I've tried several other brands with the same reaction.

I finally settled up using WP Thyroid. It only has 3 ingredients, it's cheap, and the joint pains are gone.

Good luck, I know the pain your in.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.