Joint Pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

i was taking GABAGAMMA FOR ABOUT 4 weeksand started to have joint pain and teeth pain. i cant drink and eat anything cold now.i was taking painkillers in injections for 7 days because of this pain after taking GABAGAMMA and when i stopped the pain has returned. i am in shock. i am very young and this pain is really bad. is it a side affect of this medication? who had ever had this side affect? for how long will it last? r my joints damaged? thank you for the answers

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I'm sorry you're going through what so many of us have learned, this drug can cause a lot of miserable side effects. It you took it for four weeks, then stopped, you're likely going through withdrawal. There's a lot of misunderstanding on doctor's parts that they believe there are no side effects and you can stop taking it, like you would aspirin. That's totally incorrect, and they're not keeping up with the information that even the patient is given by the pharmacist. It should never be stopped cold turkey.

There's an explanation, what gab can be given to treat, it can also cause. When I SLOWLY decrease my dosage as I taper from it (10% or less for that day's dose, over at least 4 weeks, but I take 10-15 weeks before I drop again) my original "pain" comes back, as it's the brain and nerves reacting during withdrawal.

If you were also taking some type of narcotic in those injections, that can increase the problems. The only real help is just waiting it out and knowing the withdrawal is causing this, and that you will feel better. Keep reading about the problems gab can cause. I can't predict how long you'll feel lousy, but take care of yourself and hang in there. It DOES get better.

• Posted

HI Britany Sorry to hear you are having to put up with these strange side effects after taking Gabapentin.

There are lots of people going through the same as you and I after trying to come off them to early.

Have you spoken with your GP about your problem and what has happened. Have you completely stopped your meds if so you may be better going back on them for a while and then lower you dossage this should help stop some some of your side effects. Hope this has helped to explained things.

• Posted

these problems appeared when i was taking GABAPENTIN THATS WHY I STOPPED IT.

• Posted

HI Britiany did you just stop them completely or did you wean yourself off them. I Stopped them full stop and ended up with a seizure .I Had to start taking them again to sort my body out .

• Posted

i stopped them full stop. because i got high temperature and extreme joint pain and gp told to stop it completely. but i know that before get rid of this medication need to reduce the dosage slowly

• Posted

HI Britany yes it is a good idea that you slowly come off the gabapentin and do not come off them all at once....Good Luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.