joint pain and menopause

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am having the same symptoms as so many others on this forum, nice to know this isn't all in my head.  Have just been to a Rheumatologist arthritis doesn't seem to be evident, nor Lupus.  Suggested I see a gynecologist about hormone therapy and put me on high does of vitamin d and calcium plus vit d .  Not sure if  it's going to help.  This forum is very helpful lets me know i'm not crazy I kept telling my MD that all this started after stopping birth control pills.  I'm 53 and have not had a period in almost a year, never thought menopause was going to be like this, expected hot flashes and night sweats but not this.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

My GP had me on a course of high dose D3, I now take a maintenance dose every day. One of the signs of deficency/lower than should be levels is joint pain. It worked/works for me so here's hoping you find relief as well.
  • Posted

I'm having this striking joint pains in my teeth and jaws. I'm at the dentist now getting numbed up but she's seeing no root canal problems. I need some filling here and there but she can't figure out the other pains I'm having. We started talking about perimenopause and my dentist has been post menopause for a few years and even she said her body was out of wack going through peri but she's alot better now but starting heart palpitations. She did say that peri is worse then being menopausal. So there is hope. Lets all hang in there...Gods not finished with us yet!
    • Posted

Get her to check your bite and have you any idea if you grind your teeth at night? Both can be dental causes of jaw pain and are fairly common but often overlooked.

• Posted

Hi tazvhurch

No I don't grind my teeth but this pain was weird. I have had several root canals so this wasn't a throbbing on going pain. I was up watching TV and I had this lightening bolt type quick pain shoot up my jaw and lasted a few seconds. It felt the same way my feet feel when im ready to start my period. I only get these shocking pains occasionally and never had them til peri. I just never expected it in my teeth area and sometimes it will radiate around up through my face its so painful. I never realized hormones can do such a number on us!

• Posted

Hi Jacqueline

B6 helps with joint pain too and so beneificial in peri meno..

jay xx

• Posted

Hi,

You do not have a menstrual period for one year, it means that you are currently in ‘postmenopausal period’. During this period there is a decrease in oestrogen level and an increase in circulating follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) and luteinizing hormone (LH) levels. This results in osteoporosis and joint pain. As you have joint pain, it is mainly due to a decrease in bone calcium. To manage this you need to do regular exercise and take a calcium supplement along with vitamin D3. 

• Posted

Hi Jacqueline 

the vit D & calcium and Vit D you say they put you in will be very beneficial for bone health etc.. There are others to consider too.. 

my FSH blood test revealed in was in early menopause three years ago,  i was still having three periods a year then, if your periods have stopped then the FSH blood should hopefully be true result .. I am aged 50 been in peri since age 40-41..

i have only just about got to the one year no periods stage now. My ovaries were confirmed via ultra sound last night as non functioning and no follicles..menopause reached ... 

It is commonly believed that lower estrogen levels account for the rise in FSH that coincides with menopause. Therefore, obtaining a simple serum FSH or LH should reveal whether a woman is menopausal.

However, there are few studies to support this recommendation, and more recent data confirm that changes in FSH occur earlier in the perimenopausal transition, during the late reproductive years.

FSH is not regulated by estrogen. As the number of follicles diminishes, inhibin (an ovarian hormone) declines, stimulating a rise in pituitary FSH via a classic negative feedback loop. Rising FSH stimulates the remaining follicles to increase (rather than decrease) the estrogen level during the late reproductive years. All of this can occur 2 to 3 years prior to the last menstrual cycle.

Good luck

Jay xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.