Joint pain - but blood results 'normal'??

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello all,

I'm 21 and since  around June this year I have been having pain in my knees and my hands become stiff and feel swollen - always worse in the mornings and after any sort of exercise. I have also had sternum/chest pain. I'm tired all the time too and I just feel mentally slow.

I have been back and forth to my doctors. They did kidney/thyroid bloods but norm. They never really did much which was v upsetting!

I recently moved house and I went to the local doctors and he was concerned about RA so ran some bloods. I phoned the other day and the receptionist said the blood results were fine? I've booked an appointment for monday anyway because obviously I'm not fine!!

For the past 2 weeks I've had crepitus in my knees when I bend down - it feels horrible! I'm just in pain a lot, I take ibuprofen which helps but don't think that is great long term for my liver!

If it isn't RA then what could it be?

Or can you have RA but have normal bloods?

Any advice appreciated!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I have 'normal' blood test results other than slightly raised inflammation markers.

To cut a long story short in March I started with wrist and hand pain. I thought it was carpal tunnel but it escalated within days to other joints.

I felt that they were swollen but there were no physical signs. I saw another GP in May who referred to a rheumatologist in June.

I won't bore you with the details, I'm lucky mine isn't too bad, but I'm glad I stuck to my guns. I saw the rheumatologist in August and he agreed based on my history and symptoms and diagnosed seronegative rheumatoid arthritis.

I almost gave up trying to get diagnosed, but I read an article on the Daily Mail about a lady that made me think it wasn't just me.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Get copies of your blood test results. 'Fine' is vague. Many tests have a wide range of 'normal'. Just because you fit in that range doesn't mean its normal for you. Thyroid for instance. The normal range for thyroid levels at my local lab are 12 to 22. I'm fine at 22 but 12 would still register as' normal' even though I would be feeling really ill if my thyroxine was that low.

There are a lot of conditions that cause brain fog, fatigue and sore joints. Keep pushing until you get a diagnosis.

• Posted

"can you have RA but have normal bloods?"

Yes!

20% of clinically diagnosed RA sufferers are sero-negative.

I am one.

We get this question so many times in this and other forums that from now on I'm going to recommend we educate our GPs a bit so they're better equipped to help you and others...

I'm going to suggest people go back to their doctors and inform them of this so they can look it up for themselves.

And you're the first!

You'd do best to ask him to refer you to a rheumatologist.

All the best...

• Posted

I had the carpel tunnel opp on both my hands last Oct. I still in pain and they done blood test last year for arthritis and there came out not have it. I am in pain still now and went to have test on nerves and all fine. I have pain all same like before and lost in my right hand and wrist. So do u think the results don't come out stright away and takes a few to say yes.
    • Posted

Sorry, I can't answer this because I don't know.

My rheumy diagnosed me clinically and treated me accordingly. I don't think I've been tested for the RA factor since because there's been no need.

• Posted

Hi I have only rcently been diagnosed with RA after having hand op for Trigger Fingers on right hand last year, which it quite obviously was not. My imflamation markers were 0.01 and all others low but when i saw the Consultant he confirmed it does not matter how low it shows it was RA. i was lucky as used works health cover. Do keep pushing the quicker is diagnosed the better chance of treatment helping more. Good luck know its rubbish smile
  • Posted

I concur with Bells 17- I had 3 years with useless ddoctors and no diagnosis before being rreferred to a rheumatologist but all I had were slightly raised Iinflammation markers. Yet after 8 years the rheumatoid factory finally showed up.

It could still be many other things though - don't get tunnel vision - get checked for conditions such as coeliac which can also cause joint pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.