Joint Pain From Warfarin ?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been on Warfarin for 10 months and have shoulder pain that started for no reason. Has anyone experinced shoulder inflamation/tendonitis pains on movement from Warfarin?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi there Don,

I've been on Warfarin for about 3 years now and you do seem to get pain in the joints quite a lot. Shoulders, knees, ankles, hips you name it and they will ache at some point. However, it does seem to calm down a bit after taking warfarin for a while. I hope that helps.

• Posted

Thanks. I hope it settles down. Dr. thinks it is tendonitis of shoulder from too much use and doesn't think warfarin is the cause. I;m not so sure.

• Posted

Hi Don - I'm wondering whether you are taking any statins?

• Posted

Yes, but have been for over 10 years. Still, might be a link. Of course Dr. says no.
  • Posted

Hi Don I was on Warfrin for 13 Weeks and I have so much pain in my shoulders and arms but doc sent me to physio he said it didn't relate to warfrin 

• Posted

I took Warfarin for two periods of about eight months and each time had pain in my weight bearing joints, hips, knees ankle and toes. It went after about a month of stopping it.

I started it again in February 2016 but did not take the 1mg tablet as my research said that it was the Amaranth and E numbers in them that caused the pain. Those were banned in the American tablets and later in the UK ones that I had been taking.

That was evidently only part of the reason as the joint pains started again after about eight months and worsened by the month. I had an Amplatzer Amulet fitted in my left atrial appendage three weeks ago as it blocks the area where blood clots form and stops the need for taking Warfarin.

For the first month I have to take Clopidogrel ( Plavix) and aspirin for six months. However Clopidogrel also causes joint pain and it has been worse since starting it!!! Hopefully when I stop the Clopidogrel at the end of next week my gamble will pay off as the NHS do not yet pay for the procedure.

I will report back in due course.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.