Joint pains and Progesterone

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've had joint pains for years, right from my thirties. But used to disappear a week before my periods and appear a week after!

After menopause the pain just stayed and became worse. I started hrt after menopause, but my doctor only gave me the estrogen one, despite my having a uterus. I kept asking her about Progesterone. finally she prescribed it. i have been taking it for the last ten days, guess what? my Joint pains have reduced to much! my knee feels good and i wake up without finger stiffness! Just wanted to share this, in case it's of some use to someone with unexplained joint pains. just curious has anyone had a similar experience?

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I always thought estrogen was the joint lubricator. Interesting about the progesterone.

• Posted

Mee16031,

Progesterone helped me in so many ways...I am so grateful. My friend, who was a Pharmacist here in the states for years, recommended a natural progesterone cream to me last July. She was very confident it would help with ALL of my symptoms! While she gave out prescription progesterone, she did say I could try the over the counter first as she said many women respond favorably to the non prescription one as well. I would list my symptoms over and over to her - FATIGUE, achy joints, reflux, moods, migraines, anxiety, palpitations, rubber band feeling under skin, electric zaps, hot flashes, lethargy, forgetfulness, dizziness, weight loss, nausea, hair loss, vaginal dryness and ON and ON (I had over 50 symptoms on this list of 66 on this site and more that were not on the list!). These symptoms were ALL NEW - FIRST TIME to experience at the age of 49 when I missed my first period and now they are all over the board. I started with an over the counter Progesterone that you can buy right on Amazon or at Whole Foods. My goal was to try this first as she said some women can respond quickly to the natural while others need the prescription. MOST of my symptoms have subsided. I am beyond grateful. I truly thought I could not go on with all of the symptoms I was having. Mee16031 - I'm so happy for you that you have found relief!!! It's so good for us to hear these success stories as they give us hope!

• Posted

Hi there.

Could you let me know the progesterone you got from Amazon plus do you use it every day or just for a few weeks each month?

I'm using patches at the mo but they don't seem to be helping... all other types contained a progesterone that i was intolerant to. I feel dreadful at the mo so don't think these current patches are helping at all and in the UK I don't get much help when i ask about HRT creams/alternatives etc...

Thanks in advance.

AJ. 😃

• Posted

Finny that's great that the progesterone works for you! In the past, before peri hit I used progesterone faithfully and it helped me so much in several areas. But now since peri, I cant seem to use it, as soon as I put it on I get heart palpitations, just a craziness reaction in symptoms. I think it is being stolen by another hormone (estrogen, cortisol) so it converts to one of those. That is how one of the doctors explained it to me.

• Posted

I was in the same boat 2 years ago and after taking hrt almost everything is normal again. My only concern is about the risks of taking hrt and for how long I can stay on it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.