Joints popping and cracking

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I have had chronic pain for two years but only just been diagnosed with FM. Just wondering if the popping snapping crunching and grinding is part of it. I wasn't like this before. And my dr said it's a part of aging WHATEVER. This is NOT normal clicking and popping. Sometimes I feel like bones are out of their sockets. It's especially bad in my neck and shoulders and sometimes I feel like my neck won't be able to hold my head up for much longer. And it seems to be progressing to more and more joints.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Edited

Hi jazzy,

With tight back and neck muscles your back and neck can pop and give a cracking sensation, this is to do with the tight tendons and ligaments, I would suggest you look into a massage or see a chiropractor. I have Fibro and suffer from the same, more so when I’m coming up for a flare. I’m a remedial/sports therapist and complementary therapist, see a lot of patients with Fibro and massage does help. I get aching in my joints, tiff ness and poping which is my romboids in my back. 

Heat helps, a simple hot water bottle can help ease the pain and helps to bring the healing cells, nutrition to the area of concern to sooth the area, also a bath and hot blanket. Not ideal in this weather but when you don’t feel great I usually feel cold.

Hope this helps x

• Edited

Thank you so much for getting back to me! Have tried a lot of different styles of massage, physio, chiropractic, acupuncture...No luck unfortunately. Currently seeing a bowen therapist, will see how that goes. But yeah it's awful, tendons snap and the sensation is quite frightening. And the popping and grinding is constant.

Again thank you for taking the time x

• Edited

You may have 'hypermobility'. I have this and I'm convinced its a 'co morbid' indicator for developing fibro. I was very flexible as a child and used to get joint pain that was put down to 'growing pains'. But later I was told I had hypermobility after being treated by a physiotherapist. Now that I'm getting older I believe that its getting worse. I think its down to my muscles getting weaker and no longer being able to 'pick up the slack' caused by hypermobility. Now the simplest things cause overextension of my joints and subsequent pain. My thumb is currently hurting because I opened a jam jar. My left knee frequently seems to slip out of place and I now have to be really careful. I'm not entirely sure how you would get a diagnosis, and there isnt a cure, but it always helps to know whats wrong with you, even if its because it help you explain why you cant do certain things to others, who possibly find it difficult to understand fibro.

• Edited

Hi Leslie, that sounds awful, I hope you get some relief from it.

I'm not sure that is what is going on with me, but probably worth checking into, thank you!

Thanks for replying to me I truly appreciate it.

• Edited

I have fibromyalgia and I’m 48 and I get that happening to me but if you think there is more going on then ask for a MRI and a X-ray or and a ultrasound just to be safe the most important thing is having a doctor that totally gets fibromyalgia and a Rheumatologist that understands it also I have recently been diagnosed with spondylitis arthritis as well as fibromyalgia wishing you all the best ❤️
  • Posted

Hello jazzy,

I am writing from Germany.

Did you find anything new, or causes since posting your message ?

Thank you very much for your reply,

rugby

• Posted

If I were you I'd see a rheumatologist to discuss inflammatory arthritis. Ive been told that some of those feelings and sounds are the result of unresolved inflammation and Fibromyalgia does not produce inflammation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.