Journey Involving Swollen Groin Lymph Nodes

Posted , 2 users are following.

25 year-old male.

I am posting this for people who have been thrown into a similar situation, to hopefully alleviate their fears just a little. My symptoms warranted a thorough check. This is not to dissuade anybody from going to their GP. Rather, to state that even with numerous symptoms of metastatic cancer (firm, painless swelling of lymph nodes in multiple parts of the body), the chances of it actually being a form of cancer is quite low. Occum's razor states the simplest solution is most likely the correct one. Remember this when losing your mind like I had been for the past 2 months.

7-8 months prior, experienced a swollen lymph node on the left side of my neck , right in the middle between the head and shoulder. It peaked at roughly grape sized, then decreased a little but is still palpable, even now. No pain and felt quite firm. I should have gone to the doctors since it was still palpable but, since it was only the one, I did not (which is technically a worse sign -- both sides being swollen is of lesser concern).

2 months prior, felt a lymph node of significant size in the left inguinal region of groin. After further examination, realized I had perhaps 7 - 8 palpable lymph nodes of various sizes on both sides of the groin. Note all of these were quite firm and painless. Some also didn't feel all that movable under the skin. That is when the panic set in and I scheduled an appointment immediately.

GP ordered an ultrasound. The largest one--the one I had initially felt on my left side--was 2.1cm in length. Ultrasound showed a presence of a benign fatty helium. However, because it is the only definitive test to assure non-malignant causes, a biopsy was ordered.

Had an open biopsy on the 11th of December. Rather painless process, and this is coming from an individual who loses his mind every time they step within the borders of a hospital.

Received results yesterday. Lymphoma / leukemia and other metastatic causes have been ruled out. Again, Occam's razor. Get it checked. Please get it checked. But do not lose it in the mean time and assume you have the absolute worst possible diagnosis. I probably did more damage to my body due to stress than what it went through with the biopsy and tests.

I must say though, this has given me a new found respect for people who have been diagnosed or are currently diagnosed with any form of cancer. Don't get me wrong, I already had respect for such patients. But now? After this scare? After being convinced without a doubt for 2 months that I had either lymphoma or leukemia or some other cancer that had metastasized to the lymph system? This experienced elevated my awareness and respect to newfound heights.

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi, thank you for sharing this. I am currently going through something similar. In March I found a tiny lymph node in my neck (moveable) which is still there but never grew. I have 2 there now, one on each side. In September I found one in my left groin, and now in November found another one in my right groin. I am recently pregnant and doctors told me with pregnancy these can grow, well one did. I got an ultrasound and this was the result:

multiple inguinal lymph nodes with bening morphology. I had complete bloodwork done in September and all was great. But I go to google and it makes me freak out a big deal. My doctor did not seem worried and just wants to re-do an ultrasound in 2 months to recheck that it went down in size.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.