Jst over 2week post op

Posted , 4 users are following.

Just a curious question is it normal for the right side of my head to feel numb or to get a pain in it i didnt have this before surgery. Feel like im recovering good but this is annoyin feeling 4 week check up still havent had my app thru yet but still 2weeks to go till its 4weeks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Leanne,

I am 4 weeks post op, and I have this too. My head is numb all up the back and the left side, as far forward as my temple.

I was readmitted 2 weeks after surgery due to a post op infection and I had the chance to ask my Neurosurgeon about this. He basically told me that it's not uncommon for a few superficial nerves to be damaged during the surgery, and that in time they will heal and I'll get the feeling back. Apparently nerves can take up to 2 years to fully heal, although it can happen in a much shorter amount of time like weeks. It's impossible to tell, person to person, how long it will take.

He told me that it's nothing to worry about as they are nerves relating to sensation and not movement, and nothing that needs treating. In fact, there is no treatment for it.

Hope this reassures you a little. Having said that though, I am not trying to diagnose you, and if you're worried then perhaps call the secretary for your Neurosurgeon as they can often offer advice, or will speak to the Neurosurgeon and get an answer for you. Take care x

• Posted

Thanks i have an appointment with my doctor on tuesday to get more pain medication so might mention it to him see what he suggests aswell thanks for the replys tho can i ask what was the infection u had or how did u know u had infection im always really scared i get infection get my partner to take a photo everyday so i can check it lol. Theres a little redness but thats just were the stitches were or still are but i thot i would have heard from ns by now maybe this week ill hear something from him about my follow up appointment hope ur doin well now
    • Posted

I still don't know what infection I had! I suddenly started feeling unwell... I was a lot more dizzy than I had been, I was sleeping all the time, horrendous headaches, tinnitus, high temperature... And then I started throwing up. So my GP sent me to hospital where I was admitted for tests. My Neurosurgeons met me on the ward, and took bloods and urine sample. They then did a lumbar puncture to get a sample of my CSF. When they did the L.P, they found my CSF pressure was really high, which would have caused some of my symptoms, especially the headaches, so they drained some of it off. The urine, blood and CSF samples all showed signs of an infection and raised white blood cell count, so they started treating me with I.V Antibiotics. They were basically treating me for meningitis as a precaution as first, and continued to treat me with I.V Antibiotics whilst they grew cultures to see what infection they were actually treating. After 5 days, nothing really nasty, such as meningitis had grown from the cultures and so they let me home. They assume that it was probably a bladder infection, possibly from my catheter, and assume I didn't feel any pain because I was on such strong pain meds anyway. They don't actually know though!

I keep an eye on my wound/scar every day by taking photos too! I'm obsessed! I think if you have an infection there, it would be very red all around, hot to the touch, possibly oozing and you would most likely have other symptoms such as high temp, headache and chills etc. A bad infection will make you feel pretty poorly. If you're worried though always best to check with your GP, or call the secretary for your Neurosurgeon, who can tell you if you need to come in and see anyone. Some of them (the secretaries) will let you send a photo to them if you're worried, which they can then show to your Neurosurgeon.

Have you joined any support groups on Facebook? I find them really helpful and full of useful information!

Hope that helps, anyway. Take care x

• Posted

A lot of the numbness is from the injection given durn surgery to numb you this can take a could last a couple months. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.