Juicing and anemia

Posted , 6 users are following.

Dear all,

I'm new to this forum and to any forum. I was hoping to find someone that had overcome anemia with juicing only? I was recently diagnosed with low hemoglobin and low iron due to massive blood loss, and had a blood transfusion. ( I have a uterine fibroid which, at times causes extremely heavy bleeding). Anyhow, I came across a site where a lady said she cured her fibroid and anemia through juicing. I have been following her regime for the past 3 weeks and I had a good run with feeling normal for a couple of weeks, till my period was due again. At this stage, I have not had heavy bleeds, but I got the chills, fever and I'm extremely fatigued. I'm disappointed as I have iron rich foods and juice everyday and still not feeling 100%. How long does it take to feel better? Anyone have similar problems? 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

What does your dr say about your heavy periods?
    • Posted

I have a fibroid and I don't want it removed nor do I want a hysterectomy. We are just monitoring. I had the heavy bleed as it was a withdrawal bleed after having been on primolut, a tablet that stops my period, as I went overseas and didn't want to worry about my period. The withdrawal bleed was so bad and so painful, docs almost thought it was appendicitis ( many women with uterus problems have their appendix taken out as the symptoms are the same). So I'm monitoring the fibroid, the juice is supposed to help with the bleeding... and I must say, my period was uneventuful this month ( for the first time since I was diagnosed with the fibroid). Not sure if it's the juice or just luck for this month. I will need to wait for next month to see if I have a heavy bleed. Thanks for your reply.

• Posted

If your iron loss outweighs any intake, it can't catch up.

Iron deficiency anemia is not iron deficiency anemia, it depends on the cause (intake low, loss too high, why)

(I have a friend currently who actually went for hysterectomy due to  her heavy bleeds for 2 years ending up having blood transfusions, not only iron transfusions.)

The red blood cell making turn over is 3-4 months. After 4 months all your red blood cells are new. 

So even the iron would be given today and continuously, it will take at least 2 months until you feel anything,

you can't feel the newly made even full of hemoglobin red blood cells within 2 weeks because they are still diluted within the 'old' low hemoglobin blood cells.

Chills, fever, fatigued can be from an infection too having nothing to do with anemia or can be even a deficiency in vitamins. ?

Important is VitC for absorbtion of iron.

I have not overcome anemia with juicing, but if the iron loss was not massive, I can imagine VitC and dark leavy greens to help.

All the best!

• Posted

My iron was very low. I don't like the iron supplements, they make me feel terrible, so I'm trying to do it naturally.

According to what you say, it may I fact take months.

I'm having a blood test tomorrow I wonder if my iron levels have increased? Perhaps too soon.

Anyhow, I went to doctor yesterday and he put me on antibiotics in case I had an infection and I had the fever up until 2.30 this morning. I've woken up and it's 11.00am and I haven't had the chills or fever yet.... just a massive headache. So maybe it was an infection.

Thanks for your reply.

• Posted

Maybe the person overcoming anaemia wasn't actually iron deficient but vitamin c deficient which is needed to absorb iron from non meat sources. 

• Posted

Definitely iron deficient and I'm not taking more VitC as it helps with the absorption of iron.

Not sure if blood tests can detect VitC deficiency... I'll ask.

• Posted

I also had and have uterine fibroids and heavy periods. I have had two abdominal myomectomies (2010 and 2015). I just went in last week to get the results of an ultrasound to see what's what in my uterus. Surprise, Surprise! Those lil buggers are back. There are only a few and they are still reasonably small.

Now, onto juicing...This time last year, I also did the same thing and had the same result. I felt a slight peak in energy, my period happened, and I was back right where I was again...except more frustrated because I thought I had found the answer and got my hopes up! Someone on here has already mentioned this, and I concur, at least for me. Juicing was NOT enough especially for the amount I would lose each month from my periods. I think juicing is great! I do it currently, but my body needs so much more for my iron intake that juicing alone and diet cannot provide. My period flow varies, some months won't be as heavy as others...so, I may or may not be hit as hard.

That woman's biology and yours, as well as, her iron absorption rate, and so much more make your results vary. Hopefully, your periods will be lighter from here on out! If not, research and talk to your doctor about Iron IV. Okay, maybe don't research because there seems to be nothing but horror stories online:-/ My body was not a fan of pills, so I got switched over to Iron IV and it made such a difference.

• Posted

Have drs suggested any treatment for the fibroids hope you do not mind my asking?
    • Posted

Kin great! Thanks for your input. Everyone is telling me that the iron IV is the way to go.

My concern are the chills and fever I'm getting. I'm currently at a new doctor at a clinic that only deals with women's issues and only female docs.

I'm hoping that this doc will be patient with me and help me discover what the cause of these random chills are.

Anyhow thanks again for your information. Good luck!

• Posted

Yes - hysterectomy/ surgically remove fibroids. I don't want surgery. I would like to hold on to my uterus as a couple of my collieries have had a few issues after this type of surgery- prolapsed vagina, sexual dysfunction and those that had fibroids removed only had them grow back. If I can just hold on till menopause... as apparently fibroids can die during this time and not anymore issues.

• Posted

Hi, I'm new also. Was wondering did you figure out what was causing your fevers? I'm experiencing the same symptoms. And am anemic.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.