June 20 - Hardware Removal

Posted , 5 users are following.

Well in August 2019; it would be a year after my ORIF for my Trimallelor fracture.

I'm still limping and the area is painful. I have bad swelling and not back to normal.

But according to the doctor; I'm a lot better than he originally imagined I would end up.

So now I get this horrible hardware removed.

What can I expect from the hardware removal surgery? Bad? Good? I'm going to try to only take two weeks off from work.

Missy

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

i will tell you that i felt 99% better after my ankle hardware was removed 1yr after placement. the swelling, stiffness, and constant knowing of that site was gone immediately. i hope you get relief. i sure did.

• Posted

Hi, I had a Talonavicular fusion last June and had 5 screws and plates put in. Once I started to exercise again I had pain so 3 weeks ago I went in and had the metalwork removed under a spinal. Trust me it feels so much easier and better to walk. I hope it will be the same for you too.

Shirl

• Posted

Hello Missy

I had my hardware removed in 2017. It feels better , but I got a bad infection in my wounds after surgey. I had to go back to the hospital for 21 days to clear up the infection. It was bad.

I healed after that, but I still have pain all over my ankle. I have a limp. But I did get some wedge heel sneakers , then my feet are flat on the ground wearing the wedge heel. Flat shoes don't work for me yet. I hope that I can be able to wear flats again

one day. So please get your hardware removed and watch out for infection. I hope everything goes well for you!!

Thank you Veronica

• Posted

Thanks for the head's up.

And oh my god; but I feel so much better walking in my wedge heel sneakers! Its what I wear if I want to walk - if I wear sandals - I'm in agony within an hour.

M.

• Posted

My prays are with you!

Hang in there, you will notice

the difference when the hardware is out. Its a long journal but don't give up....

Thank you Veronica

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.