Just a question but i wonder if anyone has made the same connection..

Posted , 4 users are following.

Ive noticed that when im actually physically ill say the flu or a migraine my anxiety goes through the roof i have also noticed sorry for tmi but the days before and the whole length of my period my anxiety also increases to the point of near daily panic attacks is there a connection do u think? I know when you are ill you immune system is effected but could that really cause anxiety levels to soar? And also before & during your period? Has anyone else also noticed this? Both being ill and having your period? Id love to hear some comments or infomation around this if anyone has any? Xx

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'm Exactly the same. My head goes off on one and thjnks all sorts. I also feel all off and groggy and confused when I am ill. Anxity gers so bad I can't be around anyone. Pmt is the worst for me lately. Week before hand anxious wreck. Then I feel fine when it's over or a day of due before hand. I know that gentle exercise and eating good foods it's the best option. I'm taking vit b and omega too. Also plenty water and practicing diapramic breathing and just trying to learn to self talk and tel my self it's all just anixty a little emotion that's a bit awol.

It's very hard as I feel am so up and down. And every month it gets hard. Some months not as bad but I've been so stressed and worried and over thinkng everything tbis year it's knocked me all over. the worst part is the confusion and concentration with me I got all foggy headed and have to check everything to make sure it's correct etc. Never suffered with anything like this until past year or so. I've always been active and played sports but since anxity has how so awol I've not been able to do much so it's clearly effecting me every month Infact everyday haha.

I can Defo Relate to you tHo, just have to keep telling your self it's anxity. I take mirtazapine 15Mg but it's doing nothing judr making me groggy, tired, head aches often, crave bad foods at night, adrenaline rushes, feel numb and spaces out and don't feel well with emotions. Everyday a battle but I just tell my self least am alive and Tring to change and get stronger. Cbt is great for this kinder stuff we suffer might be worth doing some online and asking gp to allowed to see someone from the cbt. Anyway I hope your oK and keep strong your not alone and remember keep telling your self it's just a little emotion called anxity :-)

• Posted

Hi Stacey. 

With reference to increased anxiety before and during period times, hormonal fluctuations could be the cause. Are you using any form of pill?  I no longer  have any need( old bird that I now am) 😉 however,  I never exoerienced anxiety while on it. Now I am at 'that funny age, '  which is not funny in the least, my dropping oestrogen levels have caused my  anxiety and panic episides to go through the roof. Had a hysterctomy at 39 and everything removed, inc ovaries. Was on HRT because of no ovaries and fear of osteoporosis.  Then HRT withdrawn. Since then hit a hormonal, anxiety brick wall. Back to GP after seeing a male GP who told me I was depressed

( well, yes of course. I am  a  hormonal wreck).   Back to see female GP.  Read through my notes...back on HRT. Said the lack of  any oestrogen in body just exacerbates the anxiety I am already prone to. So, maybe this could be why you feel so much worse at period time. Being ill too obviously pushes some peoples anxiety through the roof , especially if you have it assiciated with your health. Usually, my simple headache is a tumor, legs and arms numb...MS and so on.  Ruddy hormones!🙆

Hope this helps you a little? X

• Posted

Hi glad to know im not alone :-) sort of helps the anxiety knowing that , no i am not on any birth control atall at the moment due to bad prolonged bleeding due to the depo jab ive had my second period since ridding my body of all fake hormones and decided to let my body recover naturally and get its own cycle back , i have a sinus , throat and ear infection am on antibiotics at the moment i feel better than i did illness wise expect my ears feel so full and like they need to pop but they wont . Having a headache everyday but i think that tension as my neck is so sore and feels like i have a band round my head!! I was on mirtazapine but it stopped working in january so i decided if i was gonna beat anxiey i would do it without antidepressants , although i do have diazepam everyday just to take the edge off the anxious feelings xx
  • Posted

My anxiety skyrockets when I'm sick, not feeling good, and during my period. I've always heard it's pretty common for people with anxiety. I dread my period each month because no matter how mentally prepared I try to be, my anxiety gets horrible and then I have to deal with the phobias that try to come up because of it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.