Just a quick if somewhat stupid question

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi can I find out from you people if you know whether part of PTSD is depression whether it's a separate condition and should I bother telling my counsellor or not?  Really scared have new counsellor and don't know what to do.  Also do you have to have medication to see someone if you have PTSD or do you have to have EMDR for PTSD?  This is what my doctors insist on and I think not!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Depression may be a symptom of PTSD, but they arent in anyway related in any other term.  So it can be linked to PTSD but it is also an entirely seperate condition.  If your having councelling then if you want it to work then yes you should tell them any diagnosis that you have.  You dont have to have medication at all to see anyone, you dont need meds for any condition if you dont want to have them.  You also dont have to have any particular treatment for anything, thats up to you and the therapist.  A councillor also is not a therapist, and wouldnt not be qualified to administer EMDR, only therapists will do that - and only if THEY think it is necessary.  A GP has no input into the treatments a qualified therapist will give.  A councillor is not at all the same as a therapist.  Sounds like your getting some confused advice, a dr should know all this
    • Posted

Hi jmcg, thought as much! I think my doctor misunderstands me, not the other way round, I'll tell her when phones.

• Posted

EMDR is the recommended treatment for PTSD as per the NICE (National Institute for Health and Care Excellence) guidelines. So technically your gp is correct, however, that will be something for you to discuss with your therapist as she may not be licensed to administer such treatment.
    • Posted

They deal with PTSD so we'll see,all new all scary!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.