Just a quirky notion I have ...

Posted , 5 users are following.

Guys!  Call me crazy, but I stand by what I'm about to say.  If you KNOW that medical intervention is imminent for your prostate, lay off the sex for four weeks BEFORE the procedure, and 12 weeks AFTER the procedure.  Also, drink a little more water than usual without creating urinary elimination problems.  Do this before ... AND after the procedure as well. Could I be off base regarding these two suggestions?  You bet!  That said, they're pretty much innocuous, and they're not going to hurt you.  Give it a rest, my brothers in agony.  Give it a rest!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

What is the reason to lay off sex for 4 weeks before?  I totally agree with the fluid intake.

• Posted

Alan,

I had sex on post op day 14. No need to wait forc12 weeks. Sounds too long. And also had sex night before procedure. Total abstinence was only 13 days. Not bad at all.

MK

• Posted

Thanks for the recommendations as anything that you have discovered could be valuable to others. I firmly believe that it's important to follow whatever feels right for you and see no absolutely harm for you following it.

Is your advice to abstain from sex based on your own personal experience?

I'm interested to hear more about your rationale.

• Posted

Many of my brothers-in-suffering disagree with my premise, and I have to respect them.  I tend to simplify these matters as much as possible.  That said, a prostate issue is analogous to an injury.  When we injure any part of the human anatomy, what is our natural inclination?  It is to rest that injured part.  The prevailing counterargument in this thread is that it isn't necessary to wait, and the men who say this could be absolutely correct.  My point is this:  Given the two scenarios (1) resting the prostate for a while, or (2) using the prostate immediately after surgery, if there is a modicum of safety to be found, it's in the former strategy, not the latter.  Trading off three months without sex for a chance to accelerate healing (however small that chance may be)?  Come on!

• Posted

A bit of a waste -- it might be the last time you ever manage to have sex anyway :-(

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.