Just a thoracic aorta dilation? no big deal?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I just had a CT scan of the chest. It turns out I have a thoracic aorta dilation of 3.5cm.

39 years old.

It seems that it is on the low end of dilation, but still a dilation. The doctor's office told me this and said "he'll check on it in two years".

Isn't this more serious than that? Shouldn't I be advised to do something to keep my blood pressure down? beta-blockers? avoid power-lifting or something? They didn't even want to schedule a follow-up appointment or tell me what is going on.

2 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

It seems to me that keeping your blood pressure pretty low and avoiding any intense, strenuous exercise that would raise your blood pressure a lot would help keep it from progressing. I had 5.3cm aneurysm and dissection that required surgery and I'm on heavy bp meds and can only do mild aerobic exercise. My brother has a smaller aneurysm and was on bp meds even before his diagnosis. He has a strenuous job which includes heavy lifting and has been told to lay off the heavy lifting.

I get the feeling that a lot of doctors don't know anything about treating aneurysms. I recommend seeing a cardiologist for better treatment of your aneurysm. If he tells you that aneurysms are not within his speciality, find q different cardiologist. My cardiologist told me he knows nothing about aortic dissections so I'm doing my follow-up with my cardiothoracic surgeon.

Since the doctor can't tell how fast your aneurysm is growing, I would think that a follow up scan in a year would make sense. If it's growing slowly, then follow up scans could be less frequent.

I think that they usually don't operate on an aneurysm until it gets around 6cm or larger but mine dissected at 5.3cm.

• Posted

I agree with timothy40679. Be sure to get a good cardiologist and monitor closely.

We're all in this together. Praying you'll be fine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.