Just a thought................

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have had oral problems for years and had to live with it. Couldn't eat anything hot, anything acidic, anything spiced.  Diagnosed two years ago and, as is usual, told nothing could be done.  I had never heard of these conditions, despite practising as a RGN for twenty years after qualifying at forty.     The thought is:  Oral, anal and genital mucosa are same  thing.   I have lots of water, do not eat anything that inflames my  oral cavity and, definitively, use Tea Tree Oil products. No lesions in mouth,  rashes have occasionally appeared on my trunk and have vanished using TT products. My thought is what is it in your diet that may cause symptons. With elimination copious amounts of water sprayed on to the relevant area may lessen the devastating effects.   Just a thought..... Or two

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Marlene,

LS doesn't really attack mucous membranes. Lichen Planus does.

But anyway, rinsing with water (and a pinch of bicarbonate in a bottle of water) after contact with urine is tried and true among us here.

• Posted

Do I understand your thought:  deep cleaning with loads of water?  I have had similar thoughts. Haven't come further than using baking soda/bicarbonate in warm water.  It makes a difference this far. 

Have also thought of sauna's.  Perhaps we can 'sweat it out', whatever it is that triggers it.  And then replace the fluid with filtered water and salt.  

Keep puzzling Marlene.  Together we may figure something out that actually works permanently. 

• Posted

I was diagnosed with Oral Lichen Planus  many years ago, and I am happy to share with you how I manage it. 

I believe Oral lichen planus is closely linked to fungus, namely candida, and so I believe you need to eliminate the fungus before you can tackle the oral lichen planus.   What has worked well for me over the years is firstly treating myself with an over the counter one day pill for thrush, in conjunction with another product, an enzyme which I found online, its a dietary supplement which is an enzymatic remedy to treat the yeast infection candida.  Yeasts and fungi can flourish only as long as their cell walls remain intact. Studies show that the natural enzymes in this product dissolve these cell walls, and so this enzyme is a safe, gentle and effective approach to fungal overgrowth, and has no adverse impact on healthy probotics, it only eats the cell walls of the fungi, and that eliminates the thrush thus enabling me to start using Homeopathy...I then used Arsenicum album three times a day for a week, and have had good results from this whole procedure in the past.

The reason I took the time to write this is because whilst Lichen Schlerosus is a horrific and very serious condition, I happen to think Oral Lichen Planus can sometimes cause more stress and anguish as it is a horrific problem to have when it is severe....because at its worst there is no respite from it!!! as it unfortunately manifests itself in your mouth, and you are constantly aware of it!....every single minute of the day.  Your mouth constantly feels dry, woolly, and metallic and just horribly yuckky!... imagine having to go to work feeling like you have NOT brushed your teeth, that's how it feels, you feel dirty, and if and when the underside of your tongue is lined with deep ulcers life can seem bleak...

I have had Oral lichen planus twice this year, and have managed to send it into remission by following this procedure, and so I hope some find this helpful.

• Posted

Thank Guppy, worth looking into this month of January.  Another visit to the Nature Path.  All has become so complicated that I constantly seek help there.  How to do good for all the health issues and not do harm.  

Happy New Year to you all.  May 2015 bring us closer to true healing.

• Posted

Hi Morel and Hanny: all natural , plant derived ingredients, peppermint oil, tea tree oil, water, salt and Sodium Bicarbonate in the Desert Essence toothpaste. Am about to order the mouthwash. Diluted even further could this help?

new to this and because it's a "hidden" condition it seems it's down to 'patient power' to join the dots. Female/male ratio? Age of onset - hormone depletion? Collectively, all the information is there. Sorry, got the bit between my teeth. New Year syndrome. Happy one, everyone.

• Posted

Forgot to mention the Tea Tree oil.  I all the time add that to the mix as well.  Didn't think of peppermint oil.

How did our grandmothers age?  How did they cope?  Or did they just not talk about these kind of things?  LS and LP have probably been around longer than we know.  But that generation didn't have internet and PatientUK.

Or are these diseases of our 'modern' age?  Due to food manipulation, overextensive use of sugar?   

• Posted

Thanks Guppy for that invaluable advice. You are quite right about OP almost taking over ones life.  Festive season - lovely. Oh to be able to enjoy the treats of the day without considering the effects of every mouthful.  Wine? No thanks teetotal. Not! It's just too painful.  I really appreciate the time you spent I. Your response and have taken your advice on board.

• Posted

I'd be interested to know if anyone is aware of the geographics of these conditions. I'm in East Sussex now but have lived in a couple of dozen locations mainly in the South East .  Interestingly lived in SW France 2000-2008 and had no problems with the fruits and vegetables - though locally grown and freshly harvested - couldn't cope with  the wine though!

• Posted

Can't cope with the wine either.  Don't know about the geographics, perhaps climate has something to do with it - summers can be very hot where we live.  Keeping things cool down there does make a difference.
  • Posted

For those struggling with oral manifestations, i came across something that is helping me that I thought I could offer.  All the antifungal, antibacterial and soothing properties we like in using coconut oil on the vulva also apply to oral inflammation.  I found several websites recommending swishing coconut oil through the teeth for one to two minutes and then discarding..not in plumbing as it can resolidify.  This was recommended to reduce inflammation, whiten teeth, freshen breath and reduce gingivitis.  Just a thought.  It is actually refreshing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.