Just anxiety?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi!

For the start I want to mention that I am 23 year old woman and I don't have any chronic illness, medication and I never use drugs. So I would want to talk about my symptoms if there is anyone who has similar experience. My symptoms started in January when I was in the sauna (I am a Finn, I go every week nothing new to me). Suddenly I felt dizzy and had a weird sensation in my body, pressure in the head, I saw white stars lighting in my eyes and strong tingling and numbing feeling in my legs, arms and head. I left the sauna and went to my room and still these sensations didn't go away, I felt very anxious because of them and felt like my head is going to explode or somehow I had an irrational fear that I will have a seizure soon. I never had anything like that so I was panicking and I think I might have had a panic attack (never had one) . I was shaking and I even thought I was poisoned (I drank a questionable alcohol 2 days ago) I called the hospital and they said that it can't be poisoning because it has been already 2 days and I probably just have a form of migraine and that it will go away. I waited for a week but the symptoms continued - - every evening I would have these symptoms (except for not seeing stars.) I felt weird numbness in my feet or just randomly in some places (left side of the head especially) and almost like I couldn't get enough air to breath - also my tinnitus started (that I experience to this day) . Usually every night I had woken up suddenly, around at 2 am with my eyes wide open and feeling out of breath feeling extremely anxious for no reason. Again, I never had anything like this before. After going to several doctors I had a blood test and a heart film - - everything's normal and there are no issues. I went to an eye doctor because I thought maybe the symptoms are related to my eyes (I do spend a lot of time in front of a screen) , the doctor said I have abnormally high eye pressure but it's not that serious and I didn't any treatment for it. Doctors prescribed me sleeping pills and pain killers, but the thing is that I don't really feel pain. Every evening I experience mild muscle pain, anxiety, tinnitus and numb/tingling in my legs, arms and forehead (left side) . Also, I rarely sleep well. I have gone to physiotherapists and even done acupuncture, where they told me that maybe the symptoms are there because of my bad posture or anxiety which creates muscle tension, but no one can tell for sure. I've always had a bad posture and I have had sometimes muscle tension in my chest before when I was nervous. Now it is 16 of April and I am used to these symptoms but they are stressing me out, sleeping well is not common for me and the feeling of my mind going insane or having a "seizure" or losing control is present every evening. I experience cold sweat and dissociation because of it. I do stretching exercises every day for 3 months now and I use different gels to ease the muscle tension.. I feel like these things help but the symptoms never go fully away and every evening I continue having them. have no idea where should I ask for help, a psychologist or another doctor ?? I begged for to get a MRI but the doctors said my symptoms are not serious enough to get that. I read on the internet that the symptoms I am experiencing are very similar to someone who has anxiety... but is that possible that the symptoms can start just like that, suddenly? I've had some major life changing things happening (my dog died a year ago that was very traumatic) but I can't believe I would have these symptoms a year later.... I'm sorry this is a bit long but I thought if maybe someone has or had similar experiences and we could share our thoughts..

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

This is creepy, I just posted a similar post just a moment ago!!

Only diffrance is the sensations you are getting on you're body ie feet legs & arms, Im getting them sensation, within my head!

I'm no Dr or psychologists, but a reckon we are both dealing with anxiety, something our minds hasn't let go of, and now it's time too deal with them issues.

The reason I know, I don't have a really bad illness is when, I use one of them youtube medication videos, my symptoms will get better for a short time.

I'm sorry I cannot help you, but you are definitely not alone with this!! Up untill the tail end of last year, I had no idea anxiety was so bad, or the fight or flight response, even the word brain zaps. If someone said that to me a few months ago, I would have thought you where crazy.

Best bit of advice, and one where I'm currently working on, is trying to relax the neck and shoulder muscles. It's causing tension headaches, I had that light thing in my eyes, like there was a tear in my eyes and all blurry was awful!

Hope you recover, hopefully we recover together and put a post up few months from now, saying we have got over this awful thing!

Get well soon S x

• Edited

It certainly sounds like Anxiety, I have had it ever since my first panic attack 3.5 years ago. It gets better for sure with healthy habits. Anxiety is a tricky one as there are so many symptoms excess adrenaline can cause but once you have a clean bill of health from your doctor, rest assured it is anxiety. As bad as it feels I have found exercise to do wonders and staying away from news and social media.

Good luck guys, I feel for all who have this, it's awful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.