Just been diagnosed

Posted , 4 users are following.

So i finally got diagnosed after being rushed into a&e with major spasms and cramps in my stomach and back!! At first they thought i had a Uti which i knew i didn't as i have never felt that kind of pain with one before, pain so bad paracetamol and ibruofen did not dim the pain at all.

had blood tests aswell which showed everything was ok apart from my pancreas was a bit high in enyzemes..

they have diagnosed IBS and pancreatitis in which my pancreas flares up aswell causing me severe pain.

i have been told to alter my diet and cut out all the fizzy drinks

i was wondering what everyone eats to keep flare ups away as i do not want to experience it again!?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Ell, Sorry to hear you have gone through such pain and agony. From personal experience I can  fully understand the pain of IBS. I have had many attacks starting at age 13 and the pain is equal to kidney stones and childbirth, both of which I have experienced three times.

When you suffer from the pain of IBS, cramping bowels, you will do anything to avoid having such pain again. It took me years to understand it and learn what to do and not to do to avoid it. And basically it's simple. Treat your digestive system well and it will be 'nice' back. Your bowel muscles are cramping in order to get hardened, backed up stool out! You need to make sure that what you eat is healthy. Is your plate of food beige? If so, NOT GOOD! It should be colourful...like jewels!

First of all, avoid constipating foods, at least until you are good and regular. You may need mineral oil for a few days just so that when the bowels cramp, the 'slippery, oily' stool moves along with ease. 

Secondly, adjust the diet. Eat what your digestive system wants; a minimum of

2 1/2 cups of fruit and vegetables per day. Drink plenty of water. Before bed, I pour myself 2 full glasses of water and leave them by my computer to drink first thing in the morning. That way you develop a habit. Thirdly, avoid or drastically reduce constipating foods for a while at least; meat, eggs, dairy products, rice, tea and bananas. Fourthly, be on top of your bowel habits. In other words, be aware of how it is reacting to your lifestyle...and adjust accordingly. Fifth, take Fybogel or psyllium husks in a tall glass of water every day if you need it. Sixth: personally I take a natural mineral supplement, magnesium citrate, every night before bed with water...and in the morning I am as right as rain..never with any cramping.

Ask yourself what you are doing to aggravate not only your bowels but your pancreas. According to the world renowned Mayo Clinic, it is...like IBS, caused by poor lifestyle choices! Eat well, drink plenty of water, get exercise, avoid excessive alcohol and get plenty of rest. Your body is your temple.  http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/pancreatitis/basics/causes/con-20028421

Good luck!

Robin

• Posted

Thankyou Robin

i know what you mean by its equally painful to childbirth!! If i wasn't on contraception i would have honestly though i was going through it again as a surprise lol!

i don't eat binge food as such as i like my little one to have a balanced healthy diet which includes alot of fruit and veggies, even though stuff like pasta rice and potatoes set of my Ibs!

i haven't and never will touch alcohol so that wont be a problem for me!

thankyou so much for your advice

xx

i have started drinking alot of water which has help me alot!

• Posted

Hiya Ell,  

I got diagnosed 4 years ago and it took me a while to discover what I could tolerate because everyone is different! 

For me the no-no's were lots of dairy, (I could have milk in a cup of tea, but not a bowl of cereal) 

Spicy foods like curries

Fish - although I could eat tuna mayo... odd I know.  

Most fast foods. 

But you have to think with IBS one of the triggers is stress, which is the main reason for mine to keep returning, sometimes the foods above I could manage to eat, but under stress i.e. For me University I stay away.  

But you'll find your tolerance and be able to work with it.  There is ways to ease it. 

The funny thing is I never had a problem with fizzy drinks.. 

I've had IBS really bad, so I know pretty much everything about it.  If you have any questions let me know.  

You'll be ok! smile 😊💕

• Posted

Try fermented foods like Kefir and Saurkraut. These natural probiotics are time tested, long before the invention of pharmaceuticals. Because they are fermented (i.e. sugar is fermented into bacteria), they shouldnt cause any wind or bloating and the help to populate the gut with good bacteria. This can stave off yeast problems and compete with the nasty bugs that sometimes appear with illness. You can make both at home.

Apart from your diet as Robin as outlined, be aware of drugs like ibuprofen and antbiotics. These can strip the lining and make the gut very sensitive, especially in IBS sensitive people.

I rarely suffer from cramping now because my body senses new food in and waste out immediately which keeps me regular. This way the body can tolerate the odd treat, in moderation.

Quite often with ibs i couldsense a collicky feeling andover time i learnt to eat little and wholefood until the feeling passes. Overloading a sensitive gut just irritates things. On the days you feel fine, eat well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.