Just been diagnosed

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, just found this site. I have recently been diagnosed with CKD, its all been a bit of a shock. I'm 50 and work full time. Went to the GP complaining of headaches. My Blood Pressure was off the scale so admitted to Hospital (spent seven days there) Upshot following a range of test and a biopsy my kidney function is at 9%!!. This came as a huge surprise, as apart from the headaches I feel OK. I've been told I will need to start dialysis, but they will hold off until I develop more symptoms or drop to 5% (so not sure when that will be) Looking at other posts this seems really low to start? I've just had my first appointment to discuss the different dialysis options, so need to make a decision soon - but lots of into to take in. I'm booked in for a scan to map my veins if I need a fistula. Also discussed going on the transplant list (my wife has offered to see if she would be suitable) Some days I feel a bit overwhelmed with it all, I've got a range of appointments coming up with various health professionals over the coming weeks, but just trying to find out as much as possible at the moment esp around the dialysis options.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm not yet on dialysis either but expect to be soon, ie, within the next 6-8 months. I've decided I'm going to try PD dialysis. I selected PD because I think it will allow me to continue working; I can do this independently in my home; it may be easier on my cardiovascular system; and, should I find I'm eligible for a transplant, it will preserve my remaining function a little longer, according to my nephrologist. 

I'm single. I'm also a university professor. I travel several times a year to make presentations at professional meetings. I'm fairly sure that PD will work more effectively for travel than HD. 

So, for me, at this stage in my life, I definitely think PD is the best option. I'm geared up and ready to start when the time comes. I've heard so many great stories from many on this web site! I'm sure this will be fine! It's workable. I'll adjust. And life will continue--I expect it will be a good life🐶

Marj

• Posted

Ho Keith. I'm in the same boat. Just diagnosed. 40 years old with young family. All i can offer you is support, kind words and sympathy.

• Posted

Hi Marj, thank you for sharing your experience and choice. Joel thanks for your support.

• Posted

Hi,

Its bad enough when you know its coming all of your life so I can't imagine how you feel finding out like that.  What I can tell you is that as long as you are sympton free (which it sounds like you are t the mo) stay off dialysis as son as you can.  I was 6% when I started it so 5% is fine as long as you feel ok.  If you don't speak to your drs and they can start the process sooner.  I did PD (peritoneal dialysis) for two years while working full time, looking after my young children and running our family business with my husband.  I had my transplant last year and my friend gave me her kidney and things are good.  So as much as a shock it is I promise you will, you will be fine good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.