Just been Diagnosed and prescribed Amitryptiline, I feel worse now than I did before!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been suffering for a while with joint pain, mainly in my feet, ankles, hips and shoulder along with constant tiredness regardless of how much I sleep. After all the tests they've come back with Fibromyalgia. I've been prescribed Amitryptiline and have been taking it for the past three nights. I've got to say I feel worse now than I did before taking them. Does it get better and does anyone else have any experience of this?

Thanks in advance x

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Dear Eureka39,

I was hit from the rear whilst sat at a red light in 2000 and suffered chronic pain to this day. Part of my diagnosis is Fibromyalgia

I was also prescribed Amitriptyline for so many years. I protested all the time that they made me feel so very ill,  sick, terrible mood swings. I was expected to work but as the medication made me so sleepy all the time. Even daily functions were so difficult becoming frustrated causing aggression.

After many years I stopped taking them deciding I would rather suffer less side affects.

After 7 years I saw a consultant who at least gave a proper diagnosis. I still suffer with Fybromylogia. I was prescribef, ''Nefopam' enabling me to move with some comfort.

They can make me feel sick at times but not all the hideous side affects of Amitriptyline.

Maybe worth talking to your GP to see if he will let you try Nefopam.

I empathize with you as we suffer terrible disabling symptoms but because the disability is invisible we do not get acknowledged.

Well Wishes ....

Stay positive Kat73

• Posted

Hi Eurika39. I too have been prescribed amitrptiline and I absolutely hate having to take it . I only take it when I need to get a good night's sleep. It really knocks me out but in the morning I feel so ill and hung over. It takes me about an hour just sitting like a zombie till effects wear off. So you can imagine I don't take it very often. It doesn't help with fibro pain for me. But then neither does the pregabalin I also take. The only thing that helps a bit is the eight co-codomol I take . The pain consultanty said in a laugh 'you are a domestic junkie' He is not far wrong and I hate having to take all this medication but what is the alternative....pain. I have been asking on the forum if anyone takes any meds that are successful and I have had some replies already. So here's hoping I can  find something that works and I can get back to how I was before this horrible fibrmyalgia kicked in. take care and good luck. x
  • Posted

Hi Eureka39

I have been taking Amitryptiline for about three and a half months. It takes a while to feel the benefits so I would persevere for a few weeks before going back to your doctor. It helps me sleep at night and reduces the pain at night but I am still quite groggy in a morning. It does not suit everyone but the main side effect I have is the grogginess in the morning but even this has improved over the past 2 or 3 weeks. What dosage are you on? I started on 10mg but now take 25mg. I am hoping to reduce the dosage over time but not until my symptoms improve.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Just been Diagnosed with Fibro to. My doctor has presribed me Imipramine which is similar to Amitryptiline. There both Tricyclic antidepressant that have some musle relaxant properties but they come at a price. I feel worst after taking Imipramine and its only 10 mg. Pregablin is far better and i would advise going back to your doctor and asking for this rather than Amitryptiline.

Its a horrible condition that is not understood by many dotors. Took me a year to find out i had fibro. They thought it was anxiety ?

• Posted

Hi! I have been taking Amitryptiline for the last 6 years. I started with 10mg and I am on 70mg now. It takes a while to see the effect. What helped me was taking this at about 7:30 pm. The effect of this medicine lasts about 11-12 hrs. As I have to be up at 6: 30 am, so it works with me quite well. It definately gives me a goodnight's sleep. Since last year I have started taking Gabapentin 1200mg/day (GP's advice), which has very much helped with the tension headaches I used to get. Also gentle steches/ exercises help .I cannot say this has cured me completely, but I certainly have a better quality of life. All the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.