Just been diagnosed not sure if the Dr. Knows for sure.Are there any tests.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I'm new to the forum and aren't sure if I have fibro. First my Dr. Had me get x-rays and they showed arthritis and degenerative disc in my neck. Now he says I probably have fibromyalgia. How can I be sure?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello! My doctor pressed about 18 locations on my body. These all hurt when pressed. She told me these were the fibromyalgia check points. Did your doctor check any on you? Good luck.
    • Posted

Hi Linda thanks for replying. My Dr. Only pressed 2 spots on my arm and it hurt. First he said I had arthritis in my back and a degenerative disc in my neck. After I had x-rays taken. But my ribs,shoulders , hips also hurt. Not sure what to do.
  • Posted

Hi Stewart,

a GP is what the initials refer to - a General Practioner, you need to ask your GP to refer you to a Rheumatologist, they are qualified in this field.  They will do all kinds of tests, bloods scans etc to rule out other things and then they will make a decision as to whether it is Fibromyalgia.  I hope this helps

• Posted

Hi Sukes, thanks very much for the help I'm going to ask my Dr. For a referral. Was it a rheumatologist who told you that it was fibromyalgia. I have pains all over my body it moves to different locations all the time. Does your pain ever go away?

Thanks again

• Posted

Hi,

Yes sukes is right, you need to ask your GP to refer you to a Rheumatologist. These Consultants are the only ones who can diagnose you properly. I diagnosis of Fibromyalgia can only be confirmed by these Consultants. I had my diagnosis many years ago from these after endless tests. Other conditions need to be ruled out first which is the reason for all those tests.

• Posted

Hi Stewart,

yes it was a Rheumatologist who diagnosed fibro.  I can honestly say that unfortunately I am never free of pain.  The only thing that alters is where on the body the pain is and the sort of pain.   I've just had a couple of really bad days, where the whole of my body is just one big toothache, if that makes sense. Sorry to be so cheerful. 

• Posted

Don't quote me on this but I think I read somewhere about where a company called EpicGenetics is doing a FM/a test to diagnose fibromyalgia.  I think it is a fairly new test.  If you go to you can check it out.  I have not tried it, and am not pushing it , only just heard of it.   

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.