Just been diagnosed with a prolapse, advice needed?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, last week I found a lump inside me, as most women will understand I was worried it was the Big C! Saw my gp who told me with relief that I have a prolapse, she said its anterior and posterior and had graded it as quite severe? She has referred me to hospital and luckily I have been offered an appointment next week. She says they will probably recommend a hysterectomy? I am 57 but I had surgery in my late 20's for stress incontinence, I had a procedure called a Burch Colposuspension which was not successful. My doctor thinks because of this the surgeon will probably want to do a hysterectomy ? 

Has anyone else been in a similar position? What other options was you offered and was they successful? 

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Poor you. Lucky you know what it is now though. Hopefully you are seeing a UROGYNAECOLOGIST? I also don't know why you wouldn't just be having anterior and posterior repairs and not a hysterectomy as well? You will see on here that hysterectomy' are causing life long problems in too many cases. I wouldn't have anything removed unless there is a hugely good reason to. Loads have the double repair and retain their uterus.

• Posted

Thanks Robyn, I'm seeing a urogynaecologist next Tues so will see what he/she suggests? I want to know what my options are before I agree to anything? I'll let you know

Pauline 

• Posted

Great stuff. I've read a few times on here that Dr's suggest taking out the uterus just because "while they are near there, might as well" which I think is appalling.

• Posted

Hi I was referred for a vagial hysterectomy & lining repair back in March , although I'm only 53 it's for the best . I have my pre med appointment for August 25 th , hoping my actually op date will be after my long weekend away .( in fact will be as not put my life on hold waiting for op date ).

i have always had fear of going in to theatre for any op , yet at the moment I feel okay about it . (Guess fear return near time ) . Thought being stuck at home not doing anything gives me more fear .

Do hope what ever hospitality decide that all goes well for you .

• Posted

Thank you Julie, hope all goes well for you at your appointment. Seems like you've had to wait a while in between appointments? 

Can I ask how it's affecting you? I didn't realise I had a prolapse but know I do it explains how I've been feeling lately. I'm tired all the time but just recently after an 8 hour shift on my feet ( I'm a staff nurse) I feel exhausted, I've been having bladder problems as well but just put it down to getting older!! 

Pauline

• Posted

I am now 12 weeks post op having had a vaginal hysterectomy and sacrospinous fixation plus an anterior and posterior repair on May 4th. My main reason for eventually opting for surgery was leaking, I did feel bulges, and post op I now realise my anterior prolapse was so bad the bladder was visible too! I had the hysterectomy because of a uterine prolapse as well as the anterior and posterior prolapse. Apparently they were all really bad; I don't think I really appreciated how bad, they didn't happen overnight and post menopause it all got much worse.

For me the surgery was the easy bit, I was in very little pain and once the catheter was removed I was pretty mobile.

Now it's the wait to see if it's all worked. ?? The hysterectomy and sacrospinous fixation were the easy bits, it's the repair work that will take the time. I saw my surgeon about four weeks ago, she was happy but wants to see me again at the end of September to assess the bladder, I am still getting leaks when I do certain things. I was quite active prior to surgery, badminton, running, step aerobics and horse riding, I'm not allowed to do any of those yet, can swim, cycle and walk, so until I can do all these things again I won't know how successful the operation was.

Hope your appointment goes well, my advice is to ask as many questions as possible and do as much research before the appointment. I've learnt so much from this forum but wish I'd found it, like you, before my operation.

• Posted

Thank you everyone for your  good advice, I've been to the hospital today, things aren't as bad as my gp led me to believe? I still need an op but not a hysterectomy, they said it's just the posterior wall that needs repairing, I think it's called a Retrocele?

Should be able to have it done in about 8 weeks time? If anyone has had this particular op then I'd love to hear how it went?

Pauline

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.