Just been diagnosed with Afib

Posted , 13 users are following.

After a heavy night drinking and a lot of food, I woke up with my heart rate at 90-150bpm. I went to the hospital and after 2 hours it calmed down without treatment, they put me on a heart monitor and few hours later, after a drip, they said i could go but said I have Afib.

The doctor didnt seem too concerned but said I need to reduce my alcohol and see a cardiologist.

Im currently working away and I'm due to fly back next week, my appointment is 2 months away.

However, I've been given no real information, looking on the internet the condition seems like a real nightmare. Can anyone offer any light?

I'm only 28. I've suffered from anxiety for a few years, been to A&E a few times but my ECG has always been fine, have suffered from palpitations for a few years.

Thanks

Andy

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Yeek  - there is a lot of good advise here but a lot of us have had AF a long time.   Re reading you first post and the later one's I really do think and using the words that you have 'as the doctors are not to concerned'  see them in 2 months as planned.   'don't eat rubbish' don't go mad with alcholol and try and calm your anxiety is what ever way you can.    You have had a big warning but take it as that for now.    If you do have problems you can get the help you need right away at A&E if a case dosn't settle.   I think there is a danger of overthinking it all and ending up on a load of drugs which you may not need.     Try and calm the body and mind down for the next 2 months and see what happens.     Taking those steps guarantees nothing but it seems a better pathway than worrying about it making it worse and ending up on drugs you may not have needed.  Easier said than done.  Easy for others to say "do as I say not as I do"  but I think from what YOU say you know you just need to keep calm and make a few tweeks and see how you go.   

• Posted

Thanks Kate. Im definitely starting a long term health kick and getting back into exercise and using this as my motivation.

Unfortunately I'm going to be in West Africa for the foreseeable future but I will make sure I see a good doctor and follow everything up.

• Posted

Hi Andy, I've also found out this week that I'm A Fib after going to docs with palpitations, anxiety and panic attacks which Ive had on and off for 18 mths but got much worse over Xmas. I'm waiting for doc to get back to me about next step, but she put me on betablockers for the anxiety attacks, before i got the AFib diagnosis from the ECG so Im continuing on betablockers and waiting to hear if I need bloodthinners or to go for further tests like an echocardiogram. Doc said she needed clarification from a cardiologist, which adds to the waiting and worry! All i can think is if you have a 2 mth wait, the docs can't be too worried.

• Posted

Sorry to hear that Julie. I think anxiety is definitely a trigger!
  • Posted

Oh and I have not been a drinker in 20 years due to being a chronic migraine sufferer, i stopped (light) smoking 9 mths ago, gave up caffeine 4 mths ago, am not overweight...but like i say have suffered from anxiety for 18 mths (aged 48, menopausal!) and chronic digestive issues which seem to be present whenever the palps are present. Over Xmas I ate some especially rich foods, suffered with my stomach, had high anxiety and panic attacks & palps, especially at night so very sleep deprived by the time i got my ECG & AFib result.

• Posted

Has anyone seen the documentary 'Food Matters' on Netflix?

A really interesting documentary for anyone who is on meds that discusses in depth the value of nutrition.

I know most of you have probably educated yourself endlessly on this subject but its very very interesting.

• Posted

It's always good to check out new info. There's a lot of info out there to sort through. The thing with AF is that there's no 'one size fits all' approach to it as triggers and risk factors are vary with each individual.

i think that you just need to absorb the bit of info that seem to apply to you and your individual situation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.