Just been diagnosed with Barrett's Esophagus and I'm scared

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi all, sorry if this is a long post but I am just after some advice.

I am a 33 year old male who has had problems with heartburn and reflux for a while. I have also had Helicobacter Pylori a few years ago which was successfully treated.

My father had Barrett's Oesophagus and, unfortunately, has recently been diagnosed with terminal oesophageal cancer which has metastisised to his lungs and liver so things aren't looking too good for him. As I said, he was diagnosed with Barretts years ago. However, the last endoscopy he got was 10+ years ago, in which they said no follow up was necessary. Obviously it was, given the circumstances he is now in and we are in the process of investigating why he wasn't having regular endoscopies.

Anyway, this obviously worried me and gave the kick up the backside that I needed to go to the doctor about my own symptoms.

Given the symptoms and family history I was referred for an endscopy which I am just back from.

Immediatedly after the endoscopy, they gave me a report which says Barrett's was found in my oesophagus.

This is what the report says:

"Report: The procedure was completed successfully to D2.

Apparent mucosal junction at 38cm from the incisors.

Oesophagus - circumfrential Barrett's epithelium from 37cm to 38cm within (a) [there is a diagram here of the esophagus with (a) being at the lower end of it where it meets the stomach]

Diagnosis: Oesophagus - Barrett's mucosa

Stomach - Normal

Duodenum - Normal

Specimens taken: Biopsy (x4)

Follow up: Awaiting pathology results

Advice/comments: Await lower oesophageal biopsies"

To say that I'm scared is an understatement. I understand that I don't have cancer but it's all I can think about given what my father is going through just now.

Also, from the report, it's my understanding that the apparent mucosal junction, ie. The junction between my stomach and lower oesophagus, is 38cm from my incisors. Therefore, I have a 1cm ring of circumfrential Barrett's epithelium above this? Am I understanding this correctly?

Also, is this bad in terms of Barretts Oesophagus?

I'm just scared stiff. Watching what my dad is going through just now is heart breaking and I don't want to have to go through it myself. I am only 33 with a 5 year old daughter and now all I can think of is cancer, cancer, cancer.

Please can anyone out there help me or give me any advice. Many thanks.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have already replied to this but maybe it didn't register. I was diagnosed with Barret's 2 years ago. On research I read that eating strawberries can reverse or improve the condition. I have now been eating strawberries ++ and freeze dried strawberry powder every day for the last 2 years. I also take half teaspoon of turmeric powder with a sprinkle of black pepper. My endoscope last week showed no Barret's. So it worked for me. All the best

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.