just been diagnosed with COPD

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi  for those  who  ive  been talking  to   just  got  back from the docs.   and  the doc  said  its  been  caused  through smoking  even  though  i  was a  moderate  smoker  for  only  18  yrs.   i  gave  up  in  2014.  so  my  fault.  quite upset with  my  self.   anyway  meds ive  been  given  salbutomol 1  -  2  puffs  4 times  a  day.   incruse ellipta 1 dose  each day.    just  nearly  chocked  on the  incruse.    i  suppose  i will  get  used  to  using them .     anyone  out there  on these.  any  help or  advice   would  be  lovely    thank  u    love  julie   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi i have SALBUTAMOL they give me this last week it's a rescure inhaler but was told they can be smartly used in other ways such as 15 minutes before doing a strenuous activity, exercising or going out into the cold or heat. 

I would not beat yourself up about smoking i did it for 40 plus years and enjoyed every single one. and i know people who still smoke and had COPD for 20 plus years.

• Posted

hiya  john  nice  to hear  from you,   i  seem to use  the  salbutamol  ok  but  when i  used  the  incruse  ellipta  god  i  nearly choked  it  felt  like  power  in the  back  of  my throat.    i  suppose  its   trial  and  error.   the doc  said   they  are  not  really good for  my heart   but   theres  no other  choice.   i  cant  be  stuck in the house  for ever,  ive  got  to  get  out.   ill  be fine  im  sure    
    • Posted

Did they give you the lung test results to check ? i don't know anything about incruse  ellipta sorry

• Posted

hiya  he  showed  me  on the   screen   a  chart       which  i  did  understand  what  he  was  saying.     65%       i  was  below  what  they  would  have  wanted.      ill  be fine  once  i  get  use  to these  2   inhalers.  
  • Posted

Hi Julie

It does suck to know that there are all those others - my mom & her siblings come to mind - who smoked longer and didn't get COPD, doesn't it? On the other hand, here in the States at least 25% of folks with COPD NEVER smoked nor worked in dangerous settings.

Julie, there's no point in beating yourself up about the past. You cannot change that past no matter how much self-flagellation you indulge regardless of whether that punishment is physical or mental. You can make yourself sicker, though, by constant fretting. You will also miss enjoying the rest of your life.

You have a choice: Be stuck in remorse or live your life. That fretting can become automatic, at which point it's a dangerous habit just as was the smoking. You are a strong woman with a good support system who overcame smoking on her own. Please don't let this new habit overtake you.

Good Old Oprah Winfrey used to quote someone: Forgiveness comes when we accept that we cannot change the past. You've got to forgive yourself, so accept that past. You smoked & now you've got a smoking-related disease. If not through this route, find some other way to keep moving forward. If you're religious, God's forgiveness is always there if we but ask for it.

Keep on trucking FORWARD!

• Posted

You said it all and very well done. I was about to reply to Julie but you nailed it. It's a frightning at first until you know others have and are dealing with the diagnosis of COPD. I also am new to this but have had time to explore my options. This forum gives us hope! Courage to do what we have to do. Through this forum I have learned the importance of excercise. I have come to terms with it and now have the determination to do what I have to do to keep it in check. No point as you pointed out to Julie is to beat yourself up. Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow is another day. I know it takes a while to get there but I am moving forward. I start a plumanary excersize program soon. I have an appointment npin two weeks at the clinic for an evaluation then off and running with excersize. As my Army Father used to say when the chips fell the wrong way "Onward and Upward" 🇨🇦

• Posted

hi  thank  you so much  for  your  lovely  messege.   ive  read  and  digested   everything  you  have  said.   and  yes  im  going  to  be  fine.  and  yes  now  im on the  meds  i should  be  able  to  get  out  and  about.    i  will not  be  beat,  i  am  a  strong  person  who  dusts  her self down  and then  gets on with it.   yes  ive  been tearful,  but  then  it does  you  good  to have  a  good  cry.   i  feel  i  am more  of  an emotional   person  since  my  heart  attack  in  2015.  the quote  of  oprah  winfrey  i  actually  only  read  that  yesterday  on  facebook.   and  do you know  i  sat  back  for  a minute  and  really  thought  about  those  words.    thank you  again  for  your  support  you  have   really helped  me.   thank you   please  take  care  and  keep  safe    love  julie   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    • Posted

hiya  Ellen  must  say  i  do  feel  much  better  with the  support  from you  lovely  people.    i  do hope  you  start  to  feel  better  and  good luck  with  the  clinic  in  2  weeks  time.    your  dads  right   onwards  and  upward.  you just  dust  yourself  down  and  get  on  with  it.     thank  you  so much  for  your loyal  support.    wishing  you  all the  very  best   take  it  easy   much  love  julie  xxxxxxxxxxx
    • Posted

You are welcome Julie. That's what we are here for. I will keep in touch and let you know how I make out with my assessment in a couple of weeks.

Ellen

• Posted

Nothing wrong with a good cry now & then Julie, and you've had a lot to adjust to. Many heart attack survivors of both sexes find themselves more emotional afterwards.

Take care.

• Posted

Hi Julie!  I was what I called myself a "closet smoker".  Most people did not know I smoked.....only outside, at home.  AND, I only smoked off and on to about a pack a month, if even that. I completely quit 15 years ago when our daughter was pregnant.  My husband said "I want to see our grandchildren grow up".  That was TOTAL incentive for us.  We quit "cold turkey" and my husband had smoked pretty heavily for 44 years!!  But I....the closet smoker was the one to get COPD. I think there are a lot of environmental issues that are also causing COPD because it is being said there are millions of people walking around that do not even know they have COPD.  The man that lives next door to us smokes like a chimney and is always coughing, so I wonder about him.  But I guess that unless people really want to stop smoking, you can't force the issue.  My sister-in-law, that I love dearly has been a heavy smoker for 49 years.  When I was diagnosed, I told her about it and HOPED it would give her an incentive to quit....however she hasn't.  There have been several other smokers in the family that have quit and she is the only one that continues. I do not make people feel that I am better than they are if they don't quit but I do hope more and more people are giving it up. God bless us all....we need to hang in there together.  Hugs!!

• Posted

hi  sandy  very  well said.  i also  had  a  few friends  that  didnt  know  i  smoked.     i  only  really smoked  at  home.    ive  took  everything  in  what  youve  said    and  i  totally  agree  with  you.   your  views  are  very  much  like  mine.      i  would  never  dictate  to anyone  regarding them smoking.    but   like  you   would  let  them  know  i  have  copd,   as  you  say  the  choice  is  their.   i  will be  60  in july,  now  as  a child  growing  up,  everyone  in  the family  smoked   the  air  would  be full of  smoke.   but  in them  days  it  was  ok  to smoke everybody  smoked.    so  as  a child   we would  be  getting  the  smoke  to our lungs.    i  think  because  we  didnt  smoke  a  lot  we  think   we  are  safe,   but   like  you  say  its  the  enviroment  we live  in.     im  very lucky  now  ive  lived  in the country  and  by the  sea for  nearly  14  years.    im  just  going  to  accept  what  has  happened  and  hopefully   the  new meds  will help  my  breathing.  thank  you so  much for  getting  in touch  with me.  bless you  and  a  big  hug  for  you  love  julie   xxxxxxxxxxx
    • Posted

Julie....you always say the sweetest things and give hugs...😂. I live in Lakewood Colorado, USA

I am 75 (WOW) and diagnosed at age 69. I have been on oxygen from the beginning but only use it at night. I am also on Spiriva and Symbicort. I also have a rescue inhaler but have never had to use it.

I was at Stage 2 when I was diagnosed. I feel great most of the time and so far I only have to go to my Pulmonary doctor once a year. My stats haven't changed at all. Thanks for your kind words, Julie and stay in touch!

XOXX. HUGS

• Posted

morning  sandy   Lakewood,  Colorado   wow  that  sounds  so pretty.  im  saying  morning  to you  but  it  could be  the middle of the  night  for  you.  thank  you for  sharing  your  story  with  me.   you sound  like  you were  poorly  from the  very  beginning especially  with having oxygen  on  a  night.   you  sound  like  youve  cracked  it,   im pleased  that  you  are  well  most  of the  time.   im 60  in  july.   it  is all  a  bit  new  to me,  but  im learning  from  all you lovely  people  out  there.  i am  going  to make  an  appointment  to  see  our  COPD  nurse  at  our  doctors  surgery,  i  feel  i  need  to  talk  to her  about  this.  im presuming  im in the  early  stages  but  i  dont  know  really.  you mentioned  your  stats,  now  mine  will prob  be  okay,    i  take  atorvastatin  at  night,  i  had  a  heart  attack   in  2015.    i  do  take  lots  of  tablets    its  like  a  blooming  sweetie  shop  in  a morning  at  our  kitchen  table.  well when  i  was  little  i  always  liked  playing  shops.  lol.   my  mam  was  the  customer   as  i  was  an  only  child.   always  wanted  a brother  for  christmas  but  never  got  one.     thank  you  again for  sharing  your  story,   take  it  easy  and  as  they  say  one  step  at  a  time.  with  love  and  my  very  best  wishes     julie   xxxxxxxxxxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.