Just been diagnosed with diverticulitis

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone, I was looking for a little support. I started having really bad stomach cramps on Wednesday so I went to see my doctor. She did an examination, said I had diverticulitis and put me on antibiotics. She did say to start taking senna tablets when the symptoms had gone but apart from that she didn't give me any advice on how to manage my symptoms. I'm a bit shellshocked to be honest, I'm also diabetic and suffer from anxiety so I've been feeling awful today. If anyone has any words of advice I would be extremely grateful!

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Barbara, Over the weekend I suffered from severe abdominal pain on the left side going round to my back, constipation, bloating , fever and I started to vomit. I'm not a frail wimp and usually never have any problems at all but this pain lasted all night. Co-codamol didn't touch it and my husband gave me a muscle relaxant which helped. Today it is not so painful just tender and I've made an appointment to see my GP this afternoon. My son in law is a surgeon and he felt my stomach and he confirmed what he thinks feels like Diverticulitis. Hopefully my GP will send me for some tests as I'm now terrified to eat most foods in case that horrendous pain comes again. I'll let you know what happens.

• Posted

Oh you poor thing! My pain wasn't that severe, more like period pain. I found that eating the blandest foods helped me, like cheese sandwiches made with white bread, mashed potato and grilled chicken breast. This is totally different to my usual diet, as a diabetic I usually try and reduce my carbs, especially white carbs! If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask on here, they're a friendly bunch smile

• Posted

Keep us informed my pain was just like yours doubled over just diagnosed May 10 two flare ups in 6 weeks I am glad your not wimpy I was thin at 138 pounds now I am frail at 115 can't eat like I did struggle to gain weight Best Wishes to you so glad your getting into GI so quickly 🌝

• Posted

I went to see my GP yesterday and told him of the severe pain and dull pain ever since, he examined my stomach and said it's not an infection and I'll prescribe you some Laxido laxative and just make sure you don't become constipated! Well last night the horrendous pain returned and it was that bad an ambulance was called. Five hours later in A&E still waiting to be seen but had been given Morphine enroute to the hospital. Consultant examined me while I vomited and then gave me anti biotics and said go home and if the pain returns come back! I've started taking the antibiotics and my pain is still there just rumbling and not so severe. I'm just hoping that the diadnosis was correct?

• Posted

This site is a treasure trove of good advise if you need for both recovery and maintenance but what tests were used to determine that you had dd and what meds were prescribed?
    • Posted

My pain was unbearable I went to hospital first test was blood test My white blood cell count was 171 around 100 is normal so that indicates bacterial infection so off to cat scan with contrast this showed infection in my colon and severe diverticulitis Another cat scan Wednesday and another colonoscopy the following week A colonoscopy will also show diverticulitis (this is probably the best test ) I don't think they will preform a colonoscopy if your having a flare up Why do you think you have DD if you don't mind me asking?

• Posted

I took Cipro and Flagyll intravenous the first 3 days then 14 days at home
    • Posted

171 is that 17,000?  Don't understand your count.

• Posted

Your so right crosado8 a normal count is nothing over 10,500 mine was 17,000 thank you for noticing my error as we all try to help others with correct information 🎈

• Posted

Anthony as you may have seen in my post I reported incorrect numbers on white blood cell count A normal high count is 10,500 mine was 17,000
    • Posted

Ok..def ind an infection..at least 2-3 days of liquid diet advisable to rest gut and then soft foods..toast, eggs, mashed pots before slowly reintro reg foods. Never too early for a good probiotic, I use 50 billion cultures and 15 strains. Avoid nuts, seeds, skins and fried foods and add as much clean food as poss. Naturally fermented foods such as kefir and sauerkraut will help repop your gut flora as well. Make sure to hydrate and get some activity in..walking is great. Be patient..deep breathing always helps when anxious. Prayer and reading the Bible are a great way to achieve peace. May God Bless you, be we soon.
    • Posted

Hi Ellen, I wasn't tried to correct an error I was SCARED yours was 77,000 and thats why I ask cause at 77,000 you should still be in hospital just wanted to make sure . Mine was over 11,000 my last blood count. I hope you are on the mends and NO more attacks! 

• Posted

Thank you having a hard time getting back on my feet pain abdominal and lower back just won't stop following diet probiotics lots of water feel bad 80 % of my days I did eat a fried pork chop and it kept me in bed with diahrea for 2 days I won't eat fried anything again sticking to chicken and fish baked My GI says I should not b hurting and I should be eating everything I ate before first infection I do another cat scan in the morning and colonoscopy a week from tomorrow Trying to find answers I'm 60 years old and had first flare up May 6 and second about 3 weeks after my first I've been blessed with 60 years of good health having a hard time dealing with painful disease Thank goodness for all you kind people on this forum who have given me better advice than my doctors God bless you all

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.