Just been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in both my knees.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi I have recently been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in both my knees I am 41. I have carried on as normal, returned to full time work, but I am in lots of pain and really struggle with my job as it is very physical. I struggle climbing in and out of our bath and have applied for a mutual exchange with a house with a wet room, but the h/a is asking for an ot assessment from my local council. I am really worried they won't let me swap now. I feel like a complete failure in work and can feel my self slipping back down that slippery slope with my depression, any advice would be gratefully accepted.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I have been told 3 weeks ago that I have osteoarthritis in my spine I have not been to work since May, I can't stand long enough to make a sandwich so I know how you feel, I have not been back to work yet don't feel like a failure, the doctors tried to put me back on my antidepressant but I did not want to go there, stay strong find another job or take some time to rest, I did spend a lot of time in bed watching films as it was the easiest place to get comfortable, talk to your Gp about pain relief I am on tramadol modified released! They don't help always but helps you to get on with day to day stuff, I am a 34 year guy, I was a very active person even with my job, stay strong that's all I can say, I am looking to move also as trying to go up stairs are a nightmare! Your never alone :-)

• Posted

Hi Paul

​Ive been diagnosed with it in my spine, and i struggle to stand for and also am now struggling to walk

​i do get up the stairs but noticing that is also becoming diffciult

​my ankles seem to swell a lot as well i dont know whether this is part of it or because im not as mobile as I used to be, i do worry about this?

​lesley

• Posted

I feel for u. I'm fortunate that I'm an agency auxiliary and I can choose nights and small wards. It's scarey to think about not working. Claiming disability is a minefield. Especially when u so young and expect to work a few more yrs yet. I'd keep persevering with pain killers till u find the rite balance. I'm on codeine. Not brilliant but takes edge off.

• Posted

Hi Merie

I feel for you im 36 and have grade 4 osteo all over my body and only yesterday was told i ha rhumetoid in my left knee aswell as osteo, im on morphine patches 20mg/per hour and amityptline sort of helps but not too much, i have had to stop work 3 years ago because of it but hopefully with the right people around you you will get through it keep your head up

• Posted

Hello Merie, I am sorry you have been diagnosed with Osteo arthritis in both knees. I have had Osteo arthritis for over 48 years. I am nearly 60. I started off with Septic arthritis since aged 11 in my left knee.  I now have arthritis in my right knee my lower spine and right big toe. I am currently taking Gaberpentin as i also suffer nerve pain. I also take Naproxen and at night Amitriptyline to help with sleep. I have not been able to work for a long time as i cannot stand for more than a few mins and my mobility is poor. I am also unable to sit comfortable at anytime. I have had my left knee replaced twice. I am currently due for my right knee to be replaced. Three knee replacements by the age of 60. I don't drive and live alone so life can be very difficult at times. 

Have you seen a consultant for the arthritis. You can also ask to be refered to a pain management clinic whom can look at your pain and prescribe accordingly as GP's just prescribe the same pain killers for most patients.  As for the housing they can vary in the help they provide. I am in a ground floor flat but have a shower over the bath and use a perching stool to help getting in and out. Usually it's more difficult with hip problems getting in and out of the bath. OT assessements are nothing to worry about so go ahead they can only say yes or no to a swap. You could try for a ground floor flat if they won't let you have a wet room. Is there anyway you could have a different job in your company. Heavy lifting or being on your legs all day won't help you. 

I also understand the depression as i have suffered many years, i have had many drugs for this over the years. I have managed without drugs for the last two years as i want to manage without and due to side effects. I am on an even keel at the moment. I try to keep positive and push myself to carry on thou it's hard at times as i struggle with lonliness too. I keep active with my mind by doing online courses and seeing my grandchildren, thou i miss adult company at times. 

Elizabeth.

• Posted

Hi Merie 60261,like the others I empahize with you . I lost my long term job in 2011 at 49, hit a massive 15 month downward cycle of feeling sorry for myself ..my whole life had changed, i was always a physically active person and suddenly i couldnt do the things i used too. I applied for dla(pip) and got standard rate ,plus got my blue badge. I picked myself up with the help of forums ,reading,talking to consultants and in year 2 of forced retirement i took on a part time job of 18 hours a week. I was advised by the disability person at my local job center that i could get working tax due to getting  disability benefit , so i claimed and got that . All seemed well , i was managing with pain killers and rest to carry on. But over the last 12 months ,I was sufferring more and more , I reduced my hours more and lost the working tax ,in March I gave in and am no longer working . I struggle with even small things ,buttons,zips,putting washing in washing machine,chopping carrots,lifting a kettle and my mobility is much worse. I was recently offered an epidural pain injection , but after researching I decided I didnt want it. So I am comfortable in my skin,yes there is lots I can no longer do ..BUT I can still do things,all be it slower,with many rests and never pain free ..for me the turn around came when I accepted this is how it is and how there are so many people in life much worse off than me. I have osteo arthritis pretty much every where now,I also have lumbar stenosis..I walk like somene 30-40 years older than me and the pain never lets up sometimes its a bit milder ,other times im bed ridden ..but there is help and there are many suffering the same,so dont let it win smile I need a downstairs loo so im looking into that. Do see an OT ,do look at altering your hours/job.do apply for pip and if working and getting pip ,working tax credits. Good luck ,take care and remember you are never alone .

• Posted

Merie, I'm 45, obese and a nurse. I was diagnosed yesterday with severe degenerative osteoarthritis in my right knee. I have a lot of pain and was placed on Tylenol # 3 which just takes the edge off. I got a cortisone shot and am presently in more pain. My ortho states it should kick in in 3 days, we will see. I am waiting on a gel to be injected into my knee to act as cushion. I was told to lose weight and go back to work. I stand and walk all day and work 16 hour shifts. I've been out of work x3 weeks and am so afraid of the pain when I go back. I feel your pain. I was wondering if I should get a second opinion and see if there is anything else that can be done. I see so many alternative procedures aside from a knee replacement, but my dr didn't suggest one. I need help. This pain is going to cause me to go into a deep depression!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.