Just been diagnosed with PCOS...

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, 

I have just been diagnosed with PCOS after scan and blood results came back. Iv been told to make an app with a female doctor and go from there.

I don't really no what to expect? Will I have to take any medication? Any other tests?

I used to take the mini pill but came off it as it was making me depressed and down all the time.

I also take medication for epilepsy so the mini pill was one of the only ones I can take due to only having one hormone or something like that?! 

I'm in a serious relationship and we want to have children on maybe +3 years time, does this affect my chances of conceiving?! 

Thank you for reading!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

Let me start by saying don’t fear what we have.  While it is difficult to understand all the end and outs of PCOS it is a “manageable” condition, but you have to know that each of us is different so it is hard to say what your doctor will want to do.

I was diagnosed about 8 years ago and I remember that my previous doctor wasn’t that informed of the condition therefore, she didn’t really know how to treat it and for me I was too young to have the mindset to do any research.   Over the years I have gone through a few doctors and not because they were unwilling or unable to help me, but because I wanted more information that one doctor may not have had.  Now, I have an amazing doctor who has provided me with insights and I have made it a responsibility of mine to research for myself.

My advice to you would be to research prior to your appointment, fully understand what you have, how it can and will affect your life and ask all the questions you want.  Trust me when I say you may be overwhelmed in the beginning, but it does get better.

Hope this helps,

Keisha

• Posted

Hi

Dont panic. The female doctor will hopefully help you with a treatment plan. Most Drs will just put you the pill but you already are. I hope they offer you more than that but I wouldn't expect much unfortunately. Most of us have had to find treatments for ourselves. It MAY affect chances of conceiving but not always. You will just have to try and see. I would tell the doctor that you want babies soon as well. That may change how she treats your PCOS. This is a good place to be because so many women here havr experience and ate willing to offer great advice and help and suppoet too. A lot of u dont have anyone to talk to in our lives. My family care and support me but they don't have it so you sometimes need to speak to someone with a similar experience.

Good luck and dont stress.

Put yourself and your health first. Good food, fresh air, live a clean healthy life and just take each step as it comes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.