Just been diagnosed with prostrate cancer

Posted , 19 users are following.

I am 50 yr old reasonably fit and healthy or at least I thought I was.

My blood test revealed PSA level @ 6.2 which later reduced to 5.8 on my second test , I was sent for a biopsy where the doc told me my prostrate felt enlarged but didn't feel abnormal , unfortunately my results later revealed I have localised prostrate cancer . When the doctor revealed the news yesterday I was in total shock but now realise I am one of the lucky ones as my cancer appears to be none aggressive type, only one of the twelve biopsy samples revealed a small volume of cancer with a Gleason score of 6 which apparently is low.

My worry now is to decide to what to do next regarding treatment.

Do I sit and watch and wait or would anyone out there with a similar story advise otherwise., I am thinking about Prostate Seed Brachytherapy treatment but don't know a lot about the risks after or what the success rate is. At present, besides going to the loo more often my life hasn't been too affected.

Can anyone advise what to do

I have a choice to watch and wait or have radiotherapy ,, my dilemma is what if it spreads . Advice would be greatly appreciated

Yours worried S,,

0 likes, 129 replies

129 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Back in 2007 I had a PSA around 5 and a Gleason of 6 with 3 of - 12 positive cores. The urologist who did the biopsy said I needed to have a prostatectomy right away. My wife at the time, who was a physician took me to UCSF for a second opinion. That well-known doctor told me that watchful waiting would be OK. I had a PSA quarterly and an ultrasound twice a year. Meanwhile went on a mostly vegan macrobiotic diet. So far no surgery, no radiation, no chemo for 9years. I am having some problems with BPH at this point and taking Rapaflo and saw palmetto.

Good luck and let me know if you need more information

• Posted

I have the same diagnosis with Gleason of 6 with 3 of 12 positive cancer results.  i was told that I have two options 1. Active survellience or  2. radiation therapy..  the more severe prostatectomy is also an option.  I am interested in hearing about your journey of watching and waiting to see what happens.

thanks in advance for your input

• Posted

Hello. My other half was advised on active surveillance. But for a number of reasons decided to have brachy. He has suffered such bad side effects. Which is apparently quite rare. But he really wishes he'd stayed on surveillance instead. Good luck with your choice.

• Posted

Sorry to hear he had side effects it really makes me think I am probably best to watch and wait.

Many Thanks for the advice

• Posted

After routine 'Well Man' medical, I was evetually biopsied and diagnosed with similar and have been happy to wait. It's now about 8 years that I have been monitored without need for treatment. If you can hold the anxiety, there's no need to rush into treatment until you know whether you really are at risk of the cancer spreading and causing you harm or even death! Why were you tested - routine check or showing symptoms? Chances are you will die with the cancer but not from it - at least that seems more likely for me. I'm 66

• Posted

Good to read your experience knowing that active surveillance has worked for you makes me think it may be worth waiting , I guess I have to learn how to cope with the anxiety.

I went to the doc two years ago with increased night time urinating, he took a urine sample but never heard anything back so like most men I ignored it until recently I noticed that I went to the loo four times in the night. I went back to the docs and seen a different doc who investigated it further. and now find out I have cancer.

Guess I am one of the lucky ones as it low risk at present but thank you for your advice it really helps.

• Posted

Prior to your psa of 6.2, what was the psa before that? I'm curious because my psa jumped dramatically in 1 year.

• Posted

My PSA was 6.2 I had another test a week later which was 5.8
  • Posted

AFpj,

My PSA reading same as yours, however my gleason score much higher. 4+3=7

My urologist sent my biopsy remains to Prolaris for Genetic testing. (BTY you can google Prolaris if you are not familiar with them) The test came back saying my cancer was in non aggressive range. So, I chose active surivillance. My suggestion to you would not rush into treatmen and try active survillance, I think you are a good canidate, because of your gleason score. Rushing into treatment in my opinion would  not be a good option. A wait and watch would be beneficial.

The Prolaris test also gave me a mortality rate of of chances of dying in 10 years, of only 3%. G'Luck with what ver avenus you take.

• Posted

Thank you so much for the advice

I am going to weigh up all the options but guess I am leaning towards active survelance as long as I can learn to live with anxiety .

It's all pretty raw at the moment but your advice has definitely helped.

• Posted

Sorry about your diagnosis. I am in the same boat. Also Receantly diagnosed with prostate Ca Gleason 7 (4+3). Had my biopsy in August. Incidentally diagnosed with prostate Ca after I had TURP on June 1st. This one was Gleason 6 (3+3). Still did not decide which treatment would be best for me and with least SE. Worried about incontinence and impotence. Found couple of research online where it says that radical prostatectomy after TURP puts patients into 3x higher incontinence and impotence rate. Being only 51, it worries me a lot.

Meeting RO next Thursday and after that will make my decision about modality of treatment.

• Posted

It seems most people including the medics are saying watch and wait .I feel more confident after being on this forum knowing that waiting has worked for so many who have been diagnosed low risk.

I think if I did decide to have treatment in the future I would go for Prostate Seed Brachytherapy but I am like you it seems there is a gamble with every option, hope it goes well let me know how you get on Thursday .

• Posted

My other half wanted treatment mainly because he didn't want the worry. He only had a 12 core biopsy. I read on the other uk prostate cancer forum of many men that had had the 12 needle biopsy, diagnosed Gleason 6, they went on to have prostate removed and many of them really had a Gleason of 7 or 8 and it had spread to the seminal vesicles or bladder etc. This has happened to many men on the other forum, it wasn't picked up on the MRI and 12 needle biopsy misses so much. I mentioned this to our consultant and he said if we wanted active surveillance then he would suggest a 50 needle biopsy every few years, to make sure a higher grade cancer wasn't hiding in there. My other half also didn't want more biopsies. Another reason he took treatment.

It is almost 2 years since brachy, he is still suffering severe burning on peeing and prostatitis. So he is regretting treatment. But the consultant said as he was 57 on diagnosis that he would need treatment one day. So he had it while he's younger. It is a big decision though.

• Posted

Hi Thanks for the reply

I am like your other half I am concerned as I am not sure I can handle the worry of active surveillance.

I keep thinking about low dosage brachytherapy treatment as I low risk, was your partners treatment low dosage or high. Sorry to hear he's had problems since but was it successful in regards to stopping the cancer growth.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.