Just been diagnosed with RA

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi was diagnosed 2 weeks ago after 6 months of back and forth after having an embolism my second in 4 years. Aches and pains came on almost immediately after I left hospital so thought it was the medication I was on but after trying 3 different types have been left with this diagnosis. Went to the hospital last week and was given a steroid injection it was like a miracle 90 percent improvement, how long does the injection last? I also have an appointment to discuss long term medication, is there any I should avoid if I have the choice because of side effects? What has worked for most of you?

My pain has been in my wrists, shoulders, knees and bicep area.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis. Life can be tough.My first steroid injection lasted about a month.All the medications can give side effects but it's the risk you have to take to try to dampen down the disease.I have tried lots and still 5 yrs later I am still in pain.I can't work and anything try do with hands the joints swell with pain.

If you don't mind me asking have you been diagnosed with sticky blood because you have had 2 embolism

• Posted

Hi no been to see hemitologist and had several lots of blood taken but that wasn't mentioned when I asked she just screwed her nose up. I didn't have any pain before the embolism it feels like it triggered it off.

• Posted

Hi ,

Everyone is different, my steroid injections don't even last a week but some people I know they have lasted a couple months .there's so many drugs now and all come with some nasty side effects, you might be lucky and not get anything bad .I'm just unlucky and get most of the side effects. Only things that work for me are biological drugs .but I'm on my second one of them .fingers crossed you find something that works for you , don't be put off by the big list of side effects because like I said you might not get any .hope things work out for you and get sorted quickly x

• Posted

My steroid shot didn't effect me at all. It usually takes about 3 days for the pain to subside and I have had flares back to back even with the shots. Everyone is different. Even with the RA meds, what works for me might make you sick so it's a trial and error kind of thing

• Posted

How old are you and is the dx of RA absolutely certain? 
    • Posted

I am 66 blood test indicate that it is RA and had fluid taken from knee.
    • Posted

What I was going to say still applies - it is possible to have both RA and what I was thinking of: polymyalgia rheumatica. Your amazing response to pred made me wonder because that is very typical of PMR. The symptoms go in a few hours sometimes after a dose of pred - and often patients are diagnosed because of the apparent miracle brought about by a steroid shot for something else.
    • Posted

Interesting nobody has mentioned this the letter just said early RA strongly positive anti ccp 340 and positive rheumatoid factor with negative ANA, which quite honestly doesn't mean anything to me.

• Posted

AntiCCP is a blood test for an antibody which is found in RA in 60-70% of patients - not having it doesn't mean you haven't got RA but having it is pretty conclusive it is felt.

"Anti-CCP is an autoantibody produced by the patient’s immune system that attacks the body. These attacks can produce inflammatory symptoms most commonly experienced in rheumatoid arthritis.

Testing for the presence of anti-CCP is a relatively new support tool in helping doctors diagnose rheumatoid arthritis. Prior to the discovery of anti-CCP and the testing of it, most doctors used rheumatoid factor – another antibody – as a test to help reach a rheumatoid arthritis diagnosis.

Anti-CCP is thought to be present in 60% to 70% of patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Anti-CCPs can also exist in a patient for years before they ever develop clinical rheumatoid arthritis symptoms."

Being rheumatoid factor positive isn't 100% conclusive - although it is felt that if you are very positive then you will go on to develop RA at some point later on.

ANA is an indicator of autoimmune disease and is often positive in lupus.

But it doesn't mean you can't have another autoimmune disorder so if it all comes back when the pred stops - ask them. You saying your pain is in your bicep also makes me suspicious. 

Good luck anyway

• Posted

Hi thanks for all the info the pain I was experiencing was in my wrist upper arms and shoulders also had a week where it affected my neck, will see what happens at clinic next week.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.