Just been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

After months of irregularities i have just been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis but unsure what this actually means to me on a daily basis.

Flare ups and remission appear to be the key words but no real description or detail of what to expect.

Are loose stools, mucus, diarrhea, blood and cramps and aching throughout the day the extent of a flare up in which case my flare up has been going on for months.

Last week added to the discomfort I passed blood, then evacuated everything in my body numerous times within the morning then for the next few days had fever and chills, whole body aches and pains etc. is this what to expect of a real flare up and is the usual discomfort I have had for months the remission part or can I expect some better.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I had a terrible attack of UC 25 years ago.

I waited too long to go to the doctor and then they wanted to remove my colon to stop the bleeding.

I was able to transfer out of that little suburban hospital to the University of Chicago hospital where their top gastroenterologist saved my colon.

I was home in a week.

'Have been in remission with a few flares ever since.

I do Traditional Chinese Medicine, too.

When my attack was really bad I ate nothing but congee which is rice and water.

I take Delzcicol - 6 a day. I'm hoping to switch to the new generic I read about.

Take heart - its not as bad as you may think.

• Posted

I am so happy that you were able to save your colon. Is Delzcicol the only thing they did for you ? I am curious to know how the doctors got your condition under control.

• Posted

Thank you for your post and sharing your experience with me, really pleased that they were able to save your colon.

Based on your experience I have been really lucky as I have suffered for months with my symptoms before I told my GP.

I am finding it difficult coming to terms with the diagnosis which is probably bore out of the unknown and questions of what the future may hold. I do take comfort in knowing that flare ups could potentially be few and far between.

• Posted

I waited way too long to go to the doctor and when I did it was to the ER as my niece who is an RN advised when I had a 103 fever.

I was so sick I didn't think I'd ever recover.

The key is to go to a top gastroenterologist. There are many average ones out there who just know to do surgery - mine devised a technique involving cyclosporin on an IV for I think it was 5 days in the hospital.

I was so glad to have formed "poops" again as opposed to filling up the toilet with blood (sorry but it was true)

Both my husband (Crohn's) and I owe him so much!

• Posted

my symptoms initially were just blood and mucus no loose stools or pain . I had a follow up scope after medication made no difference and was given enemas to use . all was good for a month followed by horrendous pain numerous loose stools and severe blood loss . I was prescribed an 8 week course of steroids which cleared all symptoms up within 2 days and have been in remission ever since take medication for maintainence . my last flare was 2 years ago in November and

• Posted

Thank you for your post and sharing your experience with me, 2 years since your last flare up sounds really encouraging. Apart from taking regular medication do you restrict your diet or take anything else that helps keep you in remission.

• Posted

I follow a low fat diet but I'm not super strict with it but other than that i don't restrict anything else

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.