Just been Diagnosed with Vitiligo

Posted , 6 users are following.

Just been told by a Dermatoligist I have Vitiligo, it is on both sides of my body, arms, feet,hands tops of my legs stomach and lower back. Any body got any feedback on how to cope as I so very depressed and I am on holiday in october. Just need lots of advice please xx

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. My son was diagnosed with vitiligo. We have seen improvement using Tacrolimus ointment (1%) on him as well as using excimer laser. I hope you can consult with your dermatologist about these options and start the treatment. All the best!
    • Posted

Glad your son is improving 😍 and I see my derma in november, hopfully I can ask lots of questions that he can answer xx

• Posted

Hey, where did you get an excimer laser?  Is that something you can safely buy and self-medicate with?

I've had Vitiligo crop up for the past 5 years, but it only recently started affecting me arms over the past couple months.  I got a cream from the doctor which I believe is an immune suppresor.  I'm putting that on my arms twice a day.  I heard that combating Vitiligo early has better results than waiting, so hoping to do get a couple medications and lifestyle changes enacted now to stop it before it gets bad/noticeable.

• Posted

I had Picoway laser it helped some but I think it made me repigment faster so now I'm pale and blotchy all over my face it was too expensive now I'm broke and spotted up I've tried Tri Luma and Hydroquinone an neither works for me The only thing that made my skin uniform was monobenzone even though it had great risks I felt normal When it cleared my skin of the dark spots I'd rather be pale than two tone

• Posted

Hi,

So Excimer laser machines are available at some dermatologist offices. They are Xtrac machines, so you could look up a number to call Xtrac and they can help you find out which dermatologists in your area have their excimer laser machines. They also give you a rebate. I think there is a smaller version of that machine that you can buy and self medicate with but I have not used it for my son. We go to his dermat office twice a week to get the excimer laser treatment done. 

The cream that we use is Tacrolimus ointment (1%). 

• Posted

I've have it since I was 4 I turned completely white by the time I was 24 then recently I started repigmenting because Monobenzone isnt available anymore and that was the only cream prescribed by my dermatologist that worked and made my self esteem get back on track. Now I have these dark spots and I'm now 40 I was depressed at first but now I use makeup for my face just so I can feel a little bit of normalcy even tho people still stare I feel a lot more comfortable in my skin than I did before I did laser and it did not help me but cost me a lot of money I really didn't have but I was desperate 

• Posted

My niece has it and has been completely white for years.  We all think she is beautiful and youthful.  I have it but it didn't start changing until I was in my 60's.  I had always been dark and part of me still is.  I don't allow any sun on my face, that was the only place it bothered me as far as looks.  Otherwise I don't think about how it looks.  If you don't think about it when you go out in public then no on else will either.  Remember, true beauty comes from within.  There is  a plus side, your skin won't age as fast as it normally does for someone else without vitilligo.  I have never looked my age. I look younger than all of my siblings and my youngest brother is 8 years younger!  

My best advice is go with the flow, vitilligo is not the worst thing that can happen.  Put it in perspective, if others have a problem with it, then tough, that is their problem not yours.  Did you know that in the olden days vitilligo was mistaken for leprosy?  Can you imagine that?  Do some research, there are vitilligo sites out there you can find help.  Good luck and please have a happy life, vittiligo is not the end of the world.

• Posted

Hello dear friend, I'm sorry to hear that you've diagnosed with vitiligo. I was ever also a vitiligo patient, but now I was cured. I got my vitiligo  treatment in Huahai Vitiligo Hospital of China. And this hospital is a very professional vitiligo hospital, which treament technology is advanced in the vitiligo treatment field. So you may have a try. I wish your vitiligo will be cured as soon as quickly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.