Just been diognosed

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi I've just been diagnosed with diverticulitis after years of taking ibs medicine I know they can mimic each other but the pain this last month has been so bad I've had to miss work and put pressure on my tummy to help. I really am worried about what to eat to help has anyone got any suggestions also I am now on two types of antibiotics to help reduce the inflammation so no alcoholic drink as they say they make you sick. My stomach is making some very weird noises as I type does certain foods irritate more?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Yes, some foods can make things worse, but it is different for each individual.  Whilst you are still in pain and on medication, I suggest you stick to a liquid only diet and NO fibre until things settle down a bit.  That can include chicken soup, yogurt, teas, milky drinks.  But several members cope with both IBS and DD, susan95516 is one, so you may wish to read her posts.  Also the antibiotics have nasty side effects as well.  You can expect your tummy to misbehave for several weeks, even after you have finished the medication.  You'll find lots of helpful information on this forum, so good luck.

• Posted

Ever since I was diagnosed with DD, my stomach makes very LOUD noises ... I was just in a meeting and my co-workers heard my stomach noises. Quite embarrassing. Anyone have any insight? Thanks for mentioning it.
    • Posted

Yes, I had the same. Anti-gas OTC med helps plus probiotic and diet.
  • Posted

I have DD and IBS you need a very bland diet while having a attack. I have chicken soup and bread for a couple of days and gradually introduce normal food   I stay clear of nuts seeds skins fizzy drinks red meat tomatoes sousage I take a mabevarine fybergel and bran flakes every morning and I try and drink plenty of water 
  • Posted

Sorry to hear you are suffering I hope it all settles down shortly. Its going to be trial and error as to what are your trigger foods mine is garlic onions and red meat so I stick to chicken and fish.  Im sure somebody on here will be able to tell you what you should be eating until your flare settles, im new to all this myself as I was only diagnosed in early May. Best wishes
  • Posted

Hi Kim

I was diagnosed about 2 months ago after it started around January time . I have pain most days . I have changed my diet. I take pro biotic tablets and at the moment , mostly liquid diet as everything seems to get stuck. When I had a colonoscopy they said it was extensive diverticulitis. This weekend was awful as I had a burger and spent a whole day with a hot water bottle and pain killers . I also have to take laxitives in sachet form every night . This is good for weight loss but geez I hate it. I have also started a new job ...first day today , I ate nothing ! So I am keen for any help or advice . Dawn

• Posted

You're on two types of strong antibiotics which will be killing off all your good gut flora as well as the bad guys.  You NEED the flora otherwise your poor gut can't do its job so help replace them with LIVE yoghurt, kefir, sauerkraut and probiotic capsules.  The bigger variety you can get the better.  If you're on Cipro studies have shown it can affect your microbiome for up to a year (which might not help with getting over flares!).

If you get any strange aches and pains, especially in your legs and ankles, or other odd symptoms, the Cipro leaflet says to stop taking them and see your doctor - he should be able to offer you something else.  He might say the pains will stop when you stop taking them but very often they don't and some people are affected for a very long time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.