Just been discharged 2 days ago.

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi all, just been discharged 2 days ago after right full hip replacement.  Stumbled upon this site and so glad I did.  Hopefully will keep my momentum up over the next few weeks.  I have suffered from ostioarthiritis for a number of years in both hips.  Will be getting left side done in January 2017.  I am in soo much pain at the moment and can't seem to get the hang of the crutches.  My knee has swelled up and is causing more pain.  Hospital has advised more rest but i'm going stir crazy lying in bed all day, just getting up to go to the loo.  I know it's early days but feeling very frustated with myself.

Michelle x

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Michelle and welcome to the group - everything you are experiencing is normal honest ! And it will get better . Rest , then do your exercises , try using the crutches like walking poles ( left then right etc) rather than together - it's easier . Don't skimp on the painkillers - take as many as you are allowed , get ice pack on that swollen knee and do the exercises they have you - it will all improve day by day - others will say the same but you have our sympathy and hugs in the meantime xxxxx
  • Posted

Hi Michelle. The first several weeks of post op are really hard. I wish I had a magic solution for you but I don't. Other people's suggestions on this forum are great. I am 4 weeks post op and finally, I see a light at the end of the tunnel. I do remember feeling very isolated, helpless and afraid when I came home as I was partial weight bearing and could do nothing on my own. Also, the new hip felt funny inside of me; Its not as noticeable now. It does get better, count on that. I think when you get to around 3 or 4 weeks; things will look differently. Somehow, the time speeds up? This is a great forum to vent and share; don't be afraid to do that. It's what got me through all of this and I finally do feel like I am moving forward! Best wishes for your recovery.
  • Posted

hi michelle,

just checking in with thi morning - did you sleep well ?

Like all other said here, these are the most challenging days - 

what kind of pain are you feeling ? remember that you just had major surgery where your leg has beend violently manipulated to dislocate and remove hip joint , then prepared for the protheses to be jammed in - 

If you are up to it and have not done so, you might want to have a look at the youtube video - not for the weak of stomach - there is a "live" video and a couple of animated ones that also tell the story - after I watched it, I had so much respect for my body and realize what it had gone through and the major repair needed ...

be very gentle with yourself - 

big warm hug

renee

P.S. please contact your surgeon if you have a fever or are just worried, okay ?

and come back here any time ...

• Posted

Thanks Renee, slept ok, was up a couple of times through the night.  My knee is still swollen but the ice packs are helping.  I dont think I could watch the live video as Im quite sqeamish at the best of times.  I'm hoping to go down stairs today just for a change of scenery and a bit fresh air by the patio doors.  

Thank you so much and everybody else for all your kind words and support.  Im sure I'll have loads of questions over the next few days.  I now know who to turn to. thanks xx

• Posted

Hope the swelling goes down soon.  I can't help thinking, this time next week  I will have had my op and will be on day 1.  Feeling very nervous now and a bit  scared.  Hope you get a good nights sleep and will be feeling better  each day.  Big hug.  
    • Posted

I tried not to think of the op itself.  I focused on getting the house and family ready for the after care.  It took my mind off it.  The only time I felt a bit scared was when they put the spinal injection in my back.  By then it was a bit late, no turning back lol.  But it was fine.  Hope everything goes ok for you and will be going through this together.  

Mx

• Posted

Glad you are doing a bit better. Freshe air and change of scenery is a very good thing

Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.